Authors: Erik Carman

Christmas is coming early for those wanting a cat this year.

The Fort Collins Cat Rescue and Spay and Neuter Clinic will be giving away their four-legged friends to worthy homes for just $5 a major discount from the usual $60 fee.

The rescue, a non-profit organization, has rescued and found homes for more than 3,700 cats since its inception in 2006, said Ashley Boothe, the organization’s events and publicity coordinator.

From hoarders to abusers, Fort Collins cat rescue has worked for the past five years to ensure the cat population of Fort Collins has a safe home.

“We are a no-kill organization,” Boothe said.

Aside from the “Whisker Wonderland” special of $5, the cats also come with everything included, Boothe said. They are vaccinated, spayed or neutered, de-wormed and micro-chipped.

“We’re hoping to adopt out more adults, which will help us rescue more cats,” Boothe added.

Fort Collins resident Zeller Ash, who recently adopted an orange and white cat named Shaq, said she was more than satisfied with her new friend.

“He is a long-haired adorable bundle of love,” Ash said, adding that, since she just moved to Fort Collins from Florida, she decided to use Whisker Wonderland as an opportunity to raise a pet again.

Mariah McCulley, an animal care technician at Fort Collins Cat Rescue and spay and neuter clinic, said the clinic sees a lot of traffic in December as there are many people seeking a new pet for the holiday.

Another technician at the clinic, Kaitlin Davis, said they also see an influx in cat returns during the winter months.

“We always take our cats back,” Davis said, noting that if owners cannot afford to keep their pets, they can always return them.

Collegian writer Erik Carman can be reached at news@collegian.com.

More about the FC Cat Rescue, located at 2321 E Mulberry St.

• The rescue opened in 2006. Since then, it’s rescued and found homes for more than 3,700 cats.
  • They often host adoption specials, including Whisker Wonderland, which offers feline friends for only $5 instead of $60.
  • They can hold 40 cats at a time.
  • Their spay and neuter clinic offers discount vaccines and low-cost spay/neuter services to the general public