Authors: Andrew Schaller

Following a four-game road trip in which they lost four straight, the CSU women’s basketball team will be looking to end its recent bad fortunes tonight against the University of North Dakota at home.

Despite going 1-7 to start the year, the Rams are focused on staying positive knowing there is much more basketball left to be played.

The struggles have come at the hands of some quality opponents, as all but one of the Rams’ opponents this year have had winning records coming into the contest, a trend that will continue as North Dakota is 4-3 on the year.

“It’s frustrating the spot we’re at,” sophomore Sam Martin said. “But I think our team is doing a really good job in staying positive. We’ve had a really tough schedule.”

The Rams have looked to the positive of great post play by forwards Martin and Meghan Heimstra, who each have shot over 48 percent from the field, and average over 6.5 rebounds per game.

The problem for the Rams this season has been with their defense giving up 66.5 points per game, and committing too many costly turnovers at 21.8 per game, placing the Rams in seventh place in the Mountain West in those categories.

“We’ve just got to stick to our solid defense and rebound,” CSU coach Kristen Holt said. “And then take care of the ball.”

In order to do those things, the Rams are working on staying focused on every possession for the entirety of the 30-second shot clock.

“We need to play good defense for 30 seconds,” Heimstra said. “Get some stops, and stay focused.”

Getting those stops will not be easy for the Rams’ post players, as 6-foot-4 center and Great West Conference player of the year Allyssa Wall will be looking to end North Dakota’s two game slide.

On the season, Wall is averaging eight points per game and six rebounds per game, while sharing the backcourt with 6-foot tall Madi Buck.

“They’re tall girls,” Martin said. “We’ve just kind of been working on our defense and our help side and working mainly on getting stops and getting box-outs and stuff like that.”

The Rams are also hoping returning home will help turn the tide of their young season, as they have struggled to get a win in their road contests so far.

“Hopefully, playing at home will be an advantage for us,” Heimstra said. “I think it’ll be a good game.”

Women’s Basketball Beat Reporter Andrew Schaller can be reached at sports@collegian.com.

Who: CSU vs. University of North Dakota
When: Tonight at 7 p.m.
Where: Moby Arena
Live chat: Collegian.com
Coverage: AM 1410 KIIX