Authors: Hannah Woolums

“The Things They Carried,” written by Tim O’Brien, the author of “Going After Cacciato,” creates an incredibly clear picture of the life of a solider during the Vietnam War.

This novel, written in 1990, follows a platoon of young American soldiers traveling though the depths of Vietnam during a war in which many thought they should not be fighting. O’Brien gives unimaginable insights into the true life and the reality of being a solider during this critical time.

This book is perfect for those who love to read a vivid war story, but also those of us who do not like the image of gore. The images are represented so clearly that these terrible events take on a role of beauty and serenity while catering to their true value of devastation and destruction of the living.

O’Brien creates such a mind-blowing piece of art that the reality of the situations cut through the pages of the book and pulls the readers into the shoes of an unsuspecting young solider. The things that the soldiers carry with them are far more than their weapons and the items needed for survival, but also their inspirations, their sanity and their strength.

When the war is over and the soldiers try to regain a normal life, they are haunted by the images and events they were compelled to face in Vietnam.

“The Things They Carried” represents the brutality of the stripping of innocence and the drastic shove into manhood for the young boys in the army. They are forced to experience friendship and loss, love and heartbreak all while fighting in a dangerous and daring war.

This picturesque display of battle allows the reader to acquire a full understanding of the sacrifices of war. O’Brien’s memory serves as his inspiration and drive for “The Things They Carried,” resulting in a creation of a wonderful work of fiction that has earned a place as one of my all-time favorite novels.