Authors: Kevin Lytle

The University of Wyoming kept the Bronze Boot by beating CSU 22-19 Saturday at Hughes Stadium.

CSU had a 19-14 lead with a chance to make it seven, but kicker Chad VanderMolen missed a 32-yard field goal.

Wyoming scored on the following possession to make it 20-19.

The Rams had a chance for a late drive to score after an Austin Gray interception gave CSU the ball at its own five. But Garrett Grayson was sacked for a safety to make it 22-19 Wyoming.

CSU had one final shot with a drive that started on its own four with 47 seconds left. That drive ended when Grayson was intercepted by Blair Burns.

The loss gives CSU eight consecutive defeats on a 3-9 season.

CSU opened the game with a big play. Freshman Lee Clubb muffed the opening kick, but picked it up and returned it 65-yards to the Wyoming 27.

The Rams had to settle for a field goal after Weston Richburg, snapping left-handed, and Garrett Grayson muffed an exchange at the Wyoming 2-yardline.

Wyoming got on top when runningback Alvester Alexander burst up the middle for a 36-yard touchdown run to make it 7-3.

A 44-yard field goal by Chad VanderMolen early in the second quarter made it 7-6 Wyoming.

But on the first play of Wyoming’s ensuing drive, quarterback Brett Smith hit Josh Doctson on an 80-yard touchdown pass to make it 14-6.

CSU had a chance to cut the gap when it got the ball inside the Wyoming one in the last minute of the half. But a false start eliminated a touchdown and Grayson ended up getting intercepted on a fade intended for Crockett Gillmore.

The Rams scored on a 7:27 drive early in the second half when Ray Carter ran in from three-yards out. CSU tried a fake extra point to tie it, but holder Matt Yemm’s run was cut short of the goal line to leave the score at 14-12.

CSU took the lead late in the third quarter when Carter got his second touchdown run, this one from one yard out. The score made it 19-14 for the Rams.

The Rams missed a chance to expand their lead when VanderMolen missed a 32-yard field goal off the right upright.

Wyoming took advantage on the ensuing drive when it scored on a 35-yard pass from Smith to Doctson. Wyoming failed on a two-point conversion. That made the score 20-19 Wyoming.

Check Monday’s Collegian for a full game story.