Authors: Jordan Kurtz

With finals coming up, it was no surprise that a presentation on time management skills managed to a fill a classroom to the brim this week.

Sponsored by TILT’s Learning and Engagement Program, the workshop aimed to deliver strategies that could extend from school, to career needs to personal planning.

TILT Instructor Megan Baker facilitated the “Make the Most of Your Time: Time Management for Busy Students,” interactive workshop to a room of predominantly freshman students.

“Students have said ‘this really helped me,’” Baker said, adding that student responses are a big part of the evaluation process. “(We) take student opinions into consideration.”

Baker’s Time Management Tips

Use a reward system. For example, studying for a solid hour may permit 20 minutes of television. Breaking study material into manageable chunks is extremely important for retention.

Balance. Maintaining a healthy and balanced lifestyle is scientifically proven to yield better performance levels when completing a goal. A good diet and exercise is an important piece of the equation.

Set priorities. “Much of what we consider time management really boils to priorities – meaning the way we actually spend our time indicates what’s important to us,” Baker said. “Ask yourself: ‘Am I prioritizing (spending the most time on) those things that align with my personal values and lead me to some sort of goal?’”

Track your time. Keep a log detailing how much time you spent doing what. You may see that you can cut down from two hours of social media use per night to one. During the school week alone, that example frees up at least five more valuable hours of study time.

Make goals. Goal setting for the short-term, intermediate and long-term are critical steps toward future success. Use calendars for long-term semester goals, planners for weekly goals and to-do lists for short-term goals.

Break study material up: Doing this over a longer period of time is proven to be more effective than all-night cram sessions. It also relieves the anxiety of being under the gun and rushing to complete everything at the last minute.

“Studies show reviewing material 15 minutes after class dramatically increases retention of the material,” Baker said, noting that around 60 percent of material processed in class is lost if it is not immediately reviewed.

Collegian writer Jordan Kurtz can be reached at news@collegian.com.