Authors: Collegian Editorial Board

In a press conference Thursday, CSU President Tony Frank revealed the murky circumstances surrounding the firing of Athletic Director Paul Kowalczyk and the subsequent hiring of Jack Graham.

As one of the top-paid employees at CSU, Kowalczyk received an impressive $260,000 annually, and in 2010 he signed a five-year contract extension with the university.

Frank said Thursday that private donors would pay the remainder of Kowalczyk’s three-and-a-half-year contract, and Graham will be signed to a similar contract.

So what we have now is two employees getting paid about a quarter of a million dollars a year, one of them by the university and the other by unknown donors.

In a mere few weeks, Frank said he made the decision “sooner rather than later,” based off the disapproval of those who give money to the department.

Should this be the process of hiring such a key employee of our university, and is it appropriate to give private donors so much sway in university staffing changes?

To make the situation more mysterious, Graham said his consideration for the position came after a private meeting with Frank about Graham giving money to the university.

Essentially Frank announced yesterday that private donors pushed a staffing decision and are paying for a donor to take over one of the highest positions at CSU.

It has been no secret that in recent months private funding has become more of a focus for our university. But what happens when the roles of donors become muddled with those actually running CSU?

We welcome you Graham, and we welcome you to the list of top-10 paid employees at the university. But we also warn you to tread carefully at CSU, where donors not only sign your paycheck, but also choose your fate.