Authors: Collegian Editorial Board

This week, Fort Collins lost three people to suspected drug-related deaths, including a CSU freshman. We offer our deepest condolences to the friends and families who are left to make sense of these tragedies.

Drug abuse is something that isn’t openly spoken about often. For friends and family, it’s painful, and oftentimes, it’s something that leads to an overwhelming sense of helplessness.

We don’t want to have to write another article about the loss of a fellow CSU student, especially under these circumstances.

Hopefully, these deaths can help to start a conversation, and hopefully, they can persuade people to seek help and start really thinking about the effects of drug abuse in our community.

CSU has plenty of resources for people who would like to make a difference and learn more about the consequences of drug and alcohol abuse. We encourage people to get educated and actually utilize these resources.

Who knows, it might save a life.

More than anything, we encourage people to seek help if they, a friend or a family member are suffering from substance abuse problems, and we encourage people to be vigilant, to take action before it is too late if they see that someone they care about is struggling with addiction.

We don’t want to see another set of friends, family and community members lose someone they care about.

And it’s our job as a community to make sure that doesn’t happen.