Community Briefs 12/1/11

Authors: Collegian Staff Report

Aspen Grille addition

The Aspen Grille Restaurant, located on the top floor of the Lory Student Center, is set to welcome a CSU alumnus back to campus Thursday morning.

Chef Garrett Overlee, the new Chef Instructor at the Aspen Grille, will be cooking three courses for restaurant goers, including creamy shrimp bisque, barbacoa enchiladas and a warm bread pudding. The price will be $13.45.

Overlee, who graduated from the university’s restaurant and resort management program in 2005, has worked as a sous chef at the Stone House Grill in Fort Collins and the director of catering at the Brown Palace in Denver.

For reservations call 970-491-7006.

CSU team predicts active hurricane season

The Atlantic basin is set to have above-average hurricane activity this year, as reported by the CSU hurricane forecast team. And apparently, the team’s predictions have already begun to prove themselves.

“This season was notable for having many weak tropical cyclones but only slightly above-average intense tropical cyclone activity,” said Phil Klotzbach, lead author of the forecast, in a report on the official CSU website. “We slightly underpredicted named storms and named storm days while we overpredicted more intense hurricane activity for the entire Atlantic basin and particularly for the Caribbean.”

The report, which summarizes tropical cyclone activity during this year’s season, said a mixture of warm sea surface temperatures and La Nina contributed to the unusually active season.

CSU biology professor discovers new frog species in Amazon

During a research trip to the Amazon basin, Chris Funk, an assistant professor in the biology department, found that the diversity of one-to-two inch long tree frogs was 150 to 350 percent greater than expected.

His team also found an estimated 12 new species, and, Funk said, if the results of the study prove accurate, his research could ultimately identify 1,900 new amphibian species.

“One of the greatest challenges for biodiversity conservation is a poor understanding of species diversity,” Funk said. “Although the Amazon Basin is already recognized as a global center of biodiversity, we provide new evidence that its diversity is still vastly underestimated. These species have been around for millions of years, but we’re just uncovering them now because we have new technology to do that.”

Local merchants gather their gifts

CSU students and community members alike can gather today and tomorrow in the Lory Student Center for the annual Winter Bazaar Fest.

Starting today at 8 a.m., tables will be set up near the LSC entrance displaying jewelry, scarves, sweaters, ski equipment and numerous homemade gift items.

Interested merchants can purchase a table to sell their wares –– the cost is $60 a day for non-CSU vendors and $30 a day for CSU vendors.