Community Briefs 11/30/11

Authors: Collegian Staff Report

CSU president reiterates the requirement to report crimes

In an email sent to faculty and students yesterday, CSU President Tony Frank highlighted the necessity for any members of staff, faculty and the student body to report suspected crimes.

His email, which was sent in light of the allegations facing Penn State University, said every institution and individual, “must be prepared to respond when serious problems and allegations arise.”

He said this responsibility promotes the safety of our community and its individuals.

“I want to be extremely clear at this point,” Frank’s email said. “It is my expectation — and a requirement of state and federal law — that any members of our staff, faculty, or student body at Colorado State University who have reasonable grounds to believe that a crime has been committed will immediately report the suspected crime to law enforcement authorities. The laws also guarantee protections against retaliation to those who bring such issues forward.”

Fort Collins Parade of Lights preview

On Friday the CSU Marching Band will spread holiday cheer and university pride at the 2011 9News Parade of Lights. But before that, Fort Collins will get a little taste of the action.

Tonight at 5 p.m. the marching band will give a hometown parade preview on the streets around the University Center for the Arts. The uniformed band, decked out in lights, will march counterclockwise around the UCA.

The parade is open to the public at 1400 Remington St. Following the preview in the Griffin Lobby will be hot drinks, dessert and a “Meet the Artist” reception.

Ski mountaineering firsthand from three adventurers

Today in TILT Building Room 221, students can get first-hand insight into skiing and mountaineering around the world.

Jordan White, Caleb Wray and Anton Sponar have skied everywhere from Alaska to Mexico, to Mongolia, Argentina, Russia and Chile. At 7 p.m. they will present a slideshow about their recent summit of Denali and their other adventures from around the world.

The event is free and open to the public and anyone interested is invited to attend.