Authors: Andrew Carrera

Fort Collins Police has released the name of the man shot on the corner of College Avenue and Myrtle Street Friday.

An officer shot Scott Mendias, a 41-year-old local resident, who appeared to have a handgun in his waistband and reached for it despite “verbal commands to keep his hands away from the weapon” at 2:10 p.m. that day, according to a Fort Collins Police Services press release.

The object around his waist turned out to be a plastic handgun replica designed to shoot plastic projectiles, commonly known as an airsoft gun.

A citizen had reported to FCPS that a male appeared to have a gun near Laurel Street and College Avenue. Officer Michael Crosland, a nine-year veteran with the police department, was dispatched to the scene and confronted the man.

Mendias, who was struck with a single shot to the abdomen, was transported to the Medical Center of the Rockies for treatment of his injuries where he currently remains. No one else was injured during the incident.

Crosland was placed on administrative leave as per standard procedure, according to the Coloradoan.

Investigations looking into whether the officer broke any laws or violated internal FCPS policies is also underway.

No additional information was available at time of print.

The shooting took place one block away, or three minutes walking distance, from CSU’s Oval.

Residents with any information about the incident are encouraged to contact Fort Collins Police Services Detective Tammy Tracy at 970-221-6582 or Crime Stoppers of Larimer County at 970-221-6868; www.stopcriminals.org.

Senior Reporter Andrew Carrera can be reached at news@collegian.com.