Authors: Kyle Grabowski

The third time was the charm for the CSU women’s basketball team as the Rams picked up their first win of the season 87-68 over the University of Tulsa.

Senior guard Kim Mestdagh scored a career-high 35 points on the night on 11 of 15 shooting, seven of nine from behind the three-point line.

“There’s not a thing we could do to stop her,” Tulsa coach Matilda Mossman said. “My hat’s off to her.”

CSU led by three at halftime, but went on a 12-0 run coming out of the half to break the game wide open.

“Anytime you go into the locker room you feel like the momentum you might have had could be taken away, the other team’s getting screamed at,” CSU coach Kristen Holt said. “I really liked how we came out in the second half and set the tone for what we wanted to do.”

Freshman point guard LeDeyah Forte revved up the teams’ offense on the fast break at the start of the second half, starting in place of Kara Spotton.

“Based on the last two games, we were kind of stagnant and not getting too much movement,” Forte said. “Pushing the ball up the floor made a big difference.”

The Rams led by as many as 26 points in the second half and finished the game with four out of five starters on the bench.

“We finally played like we wanted to play, a fast game,” Mestdagh said. “We can use this game as a standard. I think it will give us confidence.”

Junior forward Megan Heimstra started the game playing with loads of confidence, blocking five shots in the first half and finishing with a double-double, 12 points and 13 rebounds. Heimstra missed most of the second half of the team’s last game against Arizona State with a hip injury.

“It was fun getting out there and making those stops. It brings up our energy and we can get some good transition (baskets),” she said.

Tulsa had four players in double figures for the game, lead by junior guard Taleya Mayberry’s 17.

“Our scoring was balanced, that’s what we want to see,” Mossman said. “That first four minutes of the second half just absolutely killed us.”

CSU plays the University of Colorado Sunday at Moby Arena to close out its three game home stand.

“What our team has to realize is that it was a good win for us, but we haven’t arrived,” Holt said. “We’ve just got to stay the course and keep getting better.”

Women’s Basketball Beat Reporter Kyle Grabowski can be reached at sports@collegian.com

Kim Mestdagh on Fire

Points: 35 (career high)

73 percent shooting from the field

7-9 from three-point range

6-6 free throws