Authors: Kevin Lytle

The CSU football team started Saturday’s game against the Air Force Academy well, but that quickly got turned around and the Rams got blown out 45-21.

Air Force got the ball first and immediately drove down the field. But the CSU defense came up with a big stop in the redzone when Myke Sisson forced a fumble and Max Morgan recovered it.

The Rams (3-8, 1-5 MW) took advantage when they drove down the field and scored on a four-yard pass from Garrett Grayson to Byron Steele to take a 7-0 lead.

The lead was erased by AFA (7-5, 3-4 MW) seconds into the second quarter when quarterback Tim Jefferson hit Zack Kauth for a 33-yard touchdown.

The Falcons then took the lead when CSU bit hard on a play-action pass and Jefferson found Kauth for his second touchdown, this one from 40 yards out to make it 14-7 AFA.

AFA then added a field goal on a drive that was aided by two personal foul penalties on CSU.

The game then got blown open when Kauth caught his third touchdown of the game on a 50-yard pass from Jefferson.

And on the next CSU drive Grayson fumbled after a long run and AFA recovered. The Falcons took advantage when Cody Getz ran in from 12-yards out on his first carry of the game to make it 31-7 AFA.

That stayed the score at halftime.

Sophomore running back Chris Nwoke opened the scoring in the second half when he burst up the middle for a 62-yard touchdown run to make it 31-14 AFA.

The run put Nwoke over 1,000 yards on the season, making him the first Ram since 2008 to rush for over 1,000 yards.

AFA then responded on its next drive, finishing another touchdown on a three-yard run by Mike DeWitt.

Asher Clark added to CSU’s misery when he scored from three-yards out early in the fourth quarter to make it 45-14 AFA.

Nwoke added to his career-day in when he rushed for a two-yard run to make it 45-21 AFA. The run gave him 269 yards on the day.

Check Monday’s Collegian for full game coverage.