Authors: Allison Knaus

Plans for the Lory Student Center update will include a facelift to CSU’s only on-campus bar, the Ramskeller, in addition to the $60 million student-funded renovation plans.

Located in the lower level of the LSC, the Ramskeller, a campus favorite, offers a traditional bar menu with on-tap and bottled beers.

According to Mike Ellis, executive director of the LSC, plans for the Ramskeller refurbishment will enhance the ability to host social gatherings and bands while keeping it a gathering spot for students and faculty.

“We heard from students that the Ramskeller is one of the most popular spots on campus, so we know we wanted to make limited changes,” Ellis said.

In addition to refurbishments, which plan to include more accessibility to a larger kitchen and more open space, plans to serve microbrews made from students in the food science and human nutrition department have been in the works, said Eric Berlinberg, the president of the Associated Students of CSU.

According to both Berlinberg and Ellis, agreements are still being made with architects and designers and allowing student-made microbrews to be served at the Ramskeller is cost-dependent.

“It’d be awesome to be able to try new beers brewed by students,” said Megan Carter, a biochemistry graduate student. “Maybe they could have a taste test where students could vote on their three favorites and those could be the beers served in the Ramskeller.”

Both food science and human nutrition professor Jack Avens and Ramskeller workers were unable to be reached for comment.

“This is something that is still too early to know a lot of details, but we’re hoping to move forward with plans,” Berlinberg said.

On Oct. 19, ASCSU Senate members approved an extension to the long bill to raise student fees and jumpstart the LSC renovation plans. While the Ramskeller has been included in the design plans, CSU Board of Governors will vote on the commencement of renovation next month.

“It’s still too soon to say exactly what the Ramskeller will look like, but we’ve gotten a lot of feedback about what students would like to see,” Ellis said.

“We’re excited about a lot of the plans that are in the works,” he added.

Collegian writer Allison Knaus can be reached at news@collegian.com