Authors: Moonier Said

On Friday CSU students will have the chance to give blood for the ultimate cause: the chance to squash the University of Wyoming, CSU’s bitter rival.

The drive, called “The Border War Blood Drive,” is a competition against Wyoming to see which university can give the most blood.

Not only does this blood drive occur when CSU plays Wyoming in the annual football game, but also at a time when blood donations are significantly lower than any other time of the year because of the holiday season.

CSU has dominated the blood war, winning for the past four years.

“The winner of the blood drive gets not only bragging rights, but also the Bronze Heart trophy,” said Academic Coordinator Becky Orr.

The Student Athlete Advisory Commitee (SAAC) plays a lead role in the event, saying that they seek to give back to the community by volunteering for the blood and drive and getting the word out on campus.

“Fort Collins is so supportive of us, especially athletics, it is a great way for us to give back,” said Melissa Fisher, a junior economics major.

SAAC will give the donated blood to Poudre Valley Health Systems and the Medical Center of the Rockies in Loveland.

The Garth Englund Blood Center will help by taking blood at the event.

“We hope to reach our goal of 100 donations.” Orr said.

SAAC Secretary Tori Ameson played a big role with the drive by getting volunteers to help by sending out e-mails to SAAC reps.

She said she hopes to see the donation room full with a line going around the upstairs of Moby Arena four times.

“This blood drive gives you an awesome free t-shirt, cookies and other snacks, so pretty much everyone should come,” Ameson said.

Collegian writer Moonier Said can be reached at news@collegian.com

Why give blood?

• Three lives can be saved with one pint of blood
  • Every three seconds someone needs blood
  • 20 percent of blood recipients are children
  • A person’s body replenishes the fluid lost during blood donation within 24 hours