Community Briefs 11/17/11

Authors: Collegian Staff Report

Linda Carlson’s favorite things

After 23 years working at the university, Linda Carlson is retiring from her position as Avenir Museum curator.

Tonight at 7 p.m. the College of Applied Human Sciences is sponsoring a farewell celebration for Carlson at the Avenir Museum of Design and Merchandising titled “Linda Carlson’s Favorite Things.”

According to the Department of Design and Merchandising’s website, the Avenir museum displays “costumes, textiles, and interior artifacts of the ordinary person representing regional, national and international material culture including domestic artifacts (primarily 19th and 20th century western costume, textiles, and interior artifacts), and global artifacts (international artifacts with emphasis and depth in India, China, Japan, Central Asia, and Latin America).”

Carlson will showcase her favorite objects in the museum. The event is free and open to the public, and no reservations are necessary.

How to cook healthy holiday foods

The Kendall Anderson Nutrition Center is putting on a class that teaches how to cook traditional holiday foods in healthier ways.

“You’re loved ones won’t even know the difference,” according to a submission of the event on the university’s event calendar.

The nutrition center’s culinary director and registered dietitians will teach participants how to make breaded pork chops with cranberry chutney, mashed yukon gold and sweet potatoes, updated green bean casserole and pecan and chocolate tartlets. Participants will be able to prepare and eat these dishes in the class.

The class is from 6 to 7:30 p.m. at 114 Gifford, 502 W. Lake Street. It is open to the public and costs $20, with a $10 discount for CSU employees. Anyone interested can register online at http://nutritioncenter.colostate.edu or by calling 970-491-8615.

Masters program candidate selected for fellowship position

Kate Danaher, a Global Social and Sustainable Enterprise master’s program candidate, has been chosen for the 2011-2012 fellowship position in CSU Fund I, a 10-year investment fund aimed at providing capital for new companies associated with the university.

Danaher’s position will allow her to have hands-on experience in seed- and early-stage investing, according to a news release on the CSU website. Her responsibilities will include researching companies, building market analyses, assisting with company screenings and writing business reviews for possible investment opportunities.

Danaher has worked in nonprofit organizations and has led as project manager for advertising and production companies in Telluride since 2007.

Reading loud for all to hear

The hard work of three CSU graduate students will culminate Thursday night as they read excerpts of their fiction writing or poetry for the English department’s creative writing and reading series.

Adam Lozeau, Dan Bailey and Mark Clements will all participate in the Nov. 17 event, sponsored by ASCSU, the English Department, CSU’s creative writing program, the Armstrong Hotel and the Lila B. Morgan Memorial Fund.

The readings are set to take place at 7:30 p.m. in the University Art Museum at the University Center of the Arts.

And don’t worry: according the university’s official website, black turtlenecks and berets are not required.