Authors: Matt Miller

Firefighters extinguished a three-car blaze Tuesday morning on the CSU campus, which authorities have labeled suspicious. The origin is still under investigation.

After the fire was reported at 5:13 a.m., the CSU Police Department arrived at a parking lot on the corner of South Drive and Meridian Avenue to find one car completely enveloped in flames.

“At first it was about two or three feet high, then it kept spreading,” said Mayry Craver, a junior creative writing major who reported the fire to the authorities.

She said an SUV was completely on fire and quickly spreading to the cars on either side of it.

CSU police officers attempted to douse the flames using fire extinguishers, but the fire was too large.

“Within the five minutes I was there it lit the other two cars on fire,” Craver said. “The fire had gotten huge, at least 10 feet high.”

According to Poudre Fire Authority Spokesman Patrick Love, when firefighters arrived the fire had spread to three vehicles. They were able to contain the fire to these vehicles.

“I was amazed at how fast it went from a small thing to a big thing,” Craver said. “It was really scary.”

She added that small explosions were coming from the vehicles while they were engulfed in flames.

“It was the most insane thing I’ve ever watched,” Craver said.

PFA and CSUPD investigators are working to determine the origin and cause of the fire. There were no injuries reported. Anyone with information on the fire is asked to contact the Colorado Arson Hotline at (877) 892-7766.

News Editor Matt Miller can be reached at news@collegian.com.