Authors: Collegian Editorial Board

Almost immediately after watching the events of Sept. 11 unfold 10 years ago, then-18-year-old Robynn Murray decided to join the Army.

And while she says she did it to help people, the all-American teenager came back from a deployment in Iraq with something she didn’t expect — post traumatic stress disorder.
Murray’s journey is highlighted in the documentary “Poster Girl,” which will have a free showing tonight, as reported in today’s Collegian.

We stress the importance of going to this event because while many remembered our servicemen and women only a few days ago for Veteran’s Day, some may not have thought about those who struggled with life after war.

The documentary portrays Murray as a “tough-as-nails” poster girl for women in combat, but also shows her life after war. Throughout the film, Murray tries to overcome depression and suicidal thoughts, which followed her overseas.

According to the Department of Veterans Affairs, an average of 18 veterans commit suicide every day, while hundreds more try.

Thousands of people did just what Murray did. So let this serve as a reminder that while many enlist to help their country, some are often unable to help themselves once they come home.

As the brave men and women of the armed services attempt to rebuild the lives they left behind, please remember that while they didn’t make the ultimate sacrifice, most of them, like Murray, will never be the same.