Authors: Darin Atteberry

Have you ever been out biking on the trails and noticed some graffiti? Perhaps you thought to yourself, “I should tell someone about that.” But by the time you got home, you’ve completely forgotten. Or maybe you just don’t know who to notify in the first place.

Now with the new Access Fort Collins mobile app, you don’t have to know who to call, nor do you have to wait until you get home to report graffiti, potholes, broken street lights or anything else the City should know about. Visit the iTunes store and search for Access Fort Collins. Download the free app, and you’ll have the ability to report issues right at your fingertips.

The Access Fort Collins app allows you to take and submit a picture to better describe the issue you’re reporting. It uses GPS to pinpoint your location so you don’t have to enter an address or cross streets; however, you can use the interactive map to report a different location if needed.

The app will also direct your request to the City staff best equipped to fix it. You don’t need to know who cleans up graffiti, fills a pothole or replaces burned-out streetlights. Just use the app to tell us about it, and then you can go on with the rest of your day –– we’ll take care of the rest.

If you have used the online version of Access Fort Collins before, use your online login to sign in via the mobile app. If you’re new to the system, set up your user profile in the app itself. Once you’ve signed in initially, you won’t have to go through the process again. You’ll be able to access your past cases and view the status of those currently in progress.

Currently the Access Fort Collins app is only available for iPhones and iPads. But don’t despair, Android users! The mobile Droid version is coming soon. We hope to launch that app by the end of the year.

It’s no secret that the use of mobile devices is increasing rapidly. Researchers predict that by 2014, mobile Internet use will overtake desktop. Currently, one-half of all local searches are performed on mobile devices. One-third of Facebook-ers use Facebook Mobile and 50 percent of Twitter users use the mobile version of Twitter.

That instant, mobile access is a big part of why the City has implemented this app (with more to come). I know it’s much simpler for me to use my iPhone to make note of any issues I see around town than it is to try to remember all of them for later. I hope that you will also find it easy and convenient to use.

CSU students are an important part of this community, and I know that you take pride in the place you call home during your time in school. I encourage you to use this tool to help us keep Fort Collins a great city.

Darin Atteberry is City Manager of Fort Collins.