Authors: Jordan Kurtz

Internationally-known construction manager Chris Reseigh will deliver a speech at CSU Monday, aimed directly at the college generation.

As the Construction Management Association of America 2011 Distinguished Speaker, Reseigh will talk about working in the global construction industry and look ahead at the future. The ASCSU-sponsored event begins at 6 p.m. in the southeast corner of the Oval at Johnson Hall in room 222.

Reseigh was the former president of Parsons Brinckerhoff, a national top-10 construction management company, according to Engineering News Record’s 2011 U.S. rankings. He is currently the global director of Program and Construction Management for PBCS, a Parsons Brinckerhoff subsidiary.

The 40-year industry veteran is also a board member for the Construction Management Association of America.

“I’m looking forward to seeing such a highly accredited speaker,” senior construction management major Jordan Tranel said.

CSU’s Department of Construction Management is a nationally recognized program that has 690 students. There are 483 CM majors, 138 pre-CM majors, 17 CM second majors, 13 pre-CM second majors and 39 graduate students in the program.

“While there is no official ranking source for construction education, the construction management program at CSU is consistently recognized as a top three construction management program,” said Kristin Haller, assistant to the construction management department head.

“We are the only Baccalaureate program in Colorado accredited by the American Council for Construction Education (ACCE),” Haller added.

CSU’s construction management program also has its own in-house placement program. The services include finding internships, which, like in many other programs, are required for graduation.

For some students, the required internship develops into future professional opportunities.

“I have a job with the company I did an internship with when I graduate,” senior Preston Tweedy said.

Out of 104 graduates last May, 65 percent have already been placed in 16 states and some internationally.

Some of the major projects that Reseigh was involved with include the Skyway Cable Stayed Bridge, Florida’s Turnpike, the first Second Avenue Subway in New York City, the MARTA system in Atlanta, General Motors engineering facilities and the Smithsonian New Air and Space Museum among others.

The event will have a catered buffet, soft drinks and coffee sponsored by Old Chicago, Mugs, Colorado CMAA, Summit Program Management L.L.C., CSU CM Board of Directors Club and ASCSU.

Multiple industry representatives are expected to attend the event and networking will follow Reseigh’s speech.

Collegian writer Jordan Kurtz can be reached at news@collegian.com.