Authors: Kyle Grabowski

Any time a current CSU women’s basketball player is mentioned in the same breath with Becky Hammon, she’s done something pretty special.

Senior Kim Mestdagh enters the 2010-2011 season as the pre-season Mountain West Player of the Year, the program’s first pre-season player of the year since Hammon.

“I really appreciate it, but it gives me a pressure that I need to get it at the end of the season too,” Mestdagh said. “(To handle the pressure) I just try to focus on the team. I’m not really an individual player, so whatever we can get accomplished with the team I like way better than what I personally accomplish.”

Mestdagh was named second-team all Mountain West following her sophomore and junior seasons, and scored her 1,000th career point against UNLV last season.

In the off season, instead of returning home to Belgium for the entire summer to compete with her national team as she has done in the past, Mestdagh returned to Colorado after two months to spend more time with her teammates.

“Most of the summer I was here, actually, playing pickup with the team, lifting with the team. I did everything here, basically,” she said.

Coach Kristen Holt noted the improvement in Mestdagh from last season to this season once official practices started.

“You can tell she’s a senior as far as her strength and skill level, and there’s a sense of urgency,” Holt said. “She’s become more of a vocal leader and really reached out to her teammates and made them better players.”

Mestdagh has improved individually as well, working on communicating with her teammates and taking less plays off than previously.

“I don’t let the mistakes I make affect me as much,” Mestdagh said. “I’ve kind of matured a little more.”

Even with the steps forward she’s made, Mestdagh acknowledged there’s still room to get better.

“I’m still working on ball handling, and I want to be better under pressure,” she said.

Holt struggled to find areas in Mestdagh’s game that needed to improve initially, but eventually she agreed with her star.

“When things aren’t falling and she’s frustrated, just staying within the game plan and that she can do other things than just score,” Holt said.

Mestdagh has showed her versatility in the pre-season, averaging 20 points, five assists and six rebounds per game in two exhibition contests.

“When she first came in, all she could really do was shoot from the outside,” Holt said. “Now I think she’s a better defender, she drives to the basket better, she’s a better passer. I think all areas of her game have improved.”

The games start to count Friday night when the team opens its regular season in Cedar Falls, Iowa, to take on the University of Northern Iowa.

“I just know that when she’s out on the floor, she’s going to make good decisions, work really hard, and she really wants to win,” Holt said. “She’s just going to find a way to get it done.”

Women’s Basketball Beat Reporter Kyle Grabowski can be reached at sports@collegian.com.

Kim Mestdagh

Senior from Leper, Belgium

Two-time second team All Mountain West Selection

Only 4-year senior on team

10th on CSU’s all-time scoring list