Community Briefs 11/08/11

Authors: Collegian Staff Report

Up Til’ Dawn finale rescheduled for next semester

The Up Til’ Dawn event finale has been rescheduled from last Saturday, Nov. 5 to Feb. 25 through Feb. 26 next semester.

According to an email sent out to already registered participants, the extra three months will allow teams who participate in the fundraising time to increase funds and get others involved.

The goal for each team is to raise $500 for the St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital. In turn, each team will be invited to attend the finale event, which according to the email, will be bigger and better with free food, games, a costume contest and great prizes, including a trip to Memphis.

To register for the event go to www.stjude.org/UTD.

CSU Native American Legacy Award looking for applicants

CSU’s Native American Legacy Award is seeking applicants for the spring 2011 and fall 2012 semesters.

The award serves to honor non-resident CSU students who belong to one of the original Colorado Native American tribes.

Students who receive the award will receive tuition at the in-state levels plus $500, which could spell savings of up to 60 percent for out of state students.

“The creation of this award is the culmination of efforts by students, staff, faculty, the administration and the Board of Governors to recognize the original residents of Colorado and to reduce the financial burden for these students who are seeking a post-secondary education, especially in these tough economic times,” said Ty Smith, director of CSU’s Native American Cultural Center, in a press release.

Fire halts production at New Belgium Brewery

A fire broke out in a silo at New Belgium Brewery, halting production for a day while Fort Collins firefighters put out the blaze. There were no evacuations or injuries.

But fans of Fat Tire and 1554 shouldn’t get emotional yet: while the silo housed grain to make beer, no beer itself was harmed during the fire, according to the Coloradoan.

The fire was caused by a worker doing maintenance on the silo, which officials said was going to be removed and recycled.

‘Silver Tsunami’ to crash into CSU

CSU’s Center for Public Deliberation is hosting a discussion about the impending growth of Fort Collins’ senior population, a national-trend that academics are calling the “Silver Tsunami” in honor of the 10,000 per day who are set to retire nation-wide in the next 20 years.

On Thursday, Nov. 10 in the Lincoln Center, CSU will be holding “Growing Older in Fort Collins: Silver Tsunami as a Golden Opportunity,” an event featuring guest speakers who will address the wave of retiring Baby Boomers.

The event is open to the public but requires an RSVP, will last from 4:30 to 6:30 in the Lincoln Center’s Canyon West Room.

“We’re hoping for a broad audience, from people who have already retired to those who will be retiring in the next 10 years or so,” Carcasson said.