Authors: Kevin Lytle

It’s the craze that’s swept the nation, and Saturday night it showed up at the CSU hockey game at the Pepsi Center.

Tebowing.

When CSU forward Parker Harrison scored late in the first period to give the Rams a 2-0 lead over rival CU-Boulder, he went straight to center ice to ensure he had everyone’s attention.

And once he reached the center dot he stopped, dropped to a knee and Tebowed.

It was a plan him and a friend had been cooking up ever since the phenomenon inspired by the Denver Broncos quarterback started a couple weeks back.

“We’ve always wanted to do it in front of people. We do it at parties and stuff like that,” Harrison said. “I told him before the game, ‘If I score a goal, I’m going to give it a shot.’ It couldn’t have been a better situation.”

Not only did the goal and ensuing celebration create an iconic moment for CSU, it also put the Rams well on their way to a 5-4 victory.

CSU couldn’t have asked for a better start. The Rams scored on two straight power plays after killing an early penalty to take a 2-0 lead after one period.

Early in the second period saw more of the same. Two more goals by CSU built the lead to 4-0 and forced CU to pull its goalie.

But suddenly the momentum shifted.

“When you get a couple easy ones like that or get a big lead right away, then it’s easy to let your guard down and think, ‘Oh, this is going to be a cakewalk,’” Harrison said. “Then the next thing you know, they pull their goalie and get a bit of a spark and we just couldn’t match it right away and we paid for it.”

CU got back into the game with a shorthanded goal by Alex Lencioni and cut the deficit to 4-2 at the intermission.

The Rams then seemed to restore order when Brendon McCarthy scored on a wrist shot from the slot early in the third. But CSU dropped off again and let CU back into the game with two goals in the next five minutes.

“We got that quick goal and we just relaxed,” CSU coach Kelly Newton said. “They notched it up about three or four levels, so the next thing you know they’re sending three or four guys to the net, and we’re not coming back and picking them up.”

CSU then had to hold on for dear life, especially when they had to kill two late penalties. But they did, in large part because of the play of goaltender Alex Steidler who saved 39 of 43 shots he faced.

“It’s by far the most fun game of the year until we get to natty’s (national championships) and win that title,” Harrison said. “It’s always fun. We’re so glad we have all these fans coming out. It’s fun to beat them in front of all their fans and let them know who’s the king of Colorado.”

Assistant Sports Editor Kevin Lytle can be reached at sports@collegian.com.