Authors: Carrie Mobley

Six hundred flags will fly on the East Lawn this week as memorials to the more than 600,000 U.S. soldiers killed in battle since World War II.

And this is just one of many events being held this week in recognition of CSU’s veteran students, activities which are set to promote awareness for those who have served our country.

Jourdan Jiruska, program assistant for the university’s office of Adult Learner and Veteran Services, commented on the week’s happenings, saying they “were planned with the intent to recognize and thank our student veterans –– and veterans in the community, for their service.”

Jiruska also added that the week was intended to serve as an educational opportunity for students wanting to learn more about veterans.

Held from Nov. 7 to 12, the celebration will commence with a veteran’s breakfast on Monday from 8 to 10 a.m in the Lory Student Center. Tuesday and Wednesday, stories from various veterans will be showcased starting at 11a.m. each day and ending at 1 p.m. with a question-and-answer session.

Each night from Monday to Thursday there will be a showing of a different veteran-oriented movie at 7 p.m. in the LSC.

“We are all really excited about this week,” said Ian McClellan, president of the Student Veterans Organization. “We originally intended it to be a day’s worth of activities that coincided with Veteran’s Day and then, as more and more student veterans joined in it turned into a whole week’s worth of activities.”

Friday events include a national roll call, in which all names of casualties in Operation Enduring Freedom will be read, with all participating schools observing a pause at noon to observe a simultaneous “minute of silence” for those who died serving the U.S.

A Veteran’s Day 5k walk and run will be held Saturday morning in honor of Lance Corporal Shawn B. Hefner, a U.S. marine who died in November 2009 in Iraq. The week will conclude Saturday afternoon at the CSU football game with a salute to veterans at 4 p.m.

And while most of the events end after the weekend, the Veteran’s Print Project: Changing Perspectives, will be on display for the entire month of November. This national art project will include artists from Fort Collins painting scenes of their interpretations in order “to express the historical experiences of a new generation of veterans,” according to Veteransprintproject.com .

“Veteran’s week is about rendering appreciation, gratitude and understanding of those who serve us,” said Paul Hodge, the chair of veteran’s week and a former U.S. marine who served in Iraq. “There are so few of them, they deserve our thanks. They bare the full brunt of defending our nation and our way of life.”

Information about the week-long events can be found at http://www.veterans.colostate.edu/veterans-week. Information about the Veteran’s Day 5k walk and run can be found at www.veterans.colostate.edu/5k.

Collegian writer Carrie Mobley can be reached at news@collegian.com.

Mon-Friday: 600 flags will fly on the East Lawn to remember the US soldiers who lost heir lives since World War II

Monday:

Veteran’s breakfast, 8 to 10 a.m. in the Lory Student Center

Tuesday:

Stories from veterans, 11 a.m. to 1 p.m.

Wednesday:

Thursday

Friday

National roll call and a “minute of silence” at noon for those who lost their lives in Operation Enduring Freedom.

Saturday

Veteran’s Day 5k walk/run

Salute to veterans at 4 p.m. during the CSU football game