Authors: Lianna Salva

If you’ve been to the store recently and wondered why they sold out of duct tape, here’s why: The CSU Bookstore is hosting a Duck Tape Art and Fashion Show sponsored by the official Duck Tape Brand.

Students were asked to create an object, art piece or fashion piece made entirely from duct tape for the contest. From 8 to 10 a.m. today, the Bookstore will be accepting creations with contact information of the artist included.

This is the first year for the contest at the CSU Bookstore, according to Bookstore sales manager, Don Voss.

“Be as innovative and creative and have as much fun in whatever direction you can go,” Voss said. “I want to be surprised.”

Over the summer to prepare for the contest, Bookstore employees were asked to make creations out of duct tape. The winners are on display in the glass case outside the Bookstore entrance.

For the summer contest, Bookstore employee and senior psychology major, Ian Hopkins made a working trumpet from duct tape, which can be seen in the display case.

“I’m hoping top see a bunch of creative designs that you wouldn’t normally see. When I made the trumpet, it goes against the mold of what you think duct tape could do,” Hopkins said.

Hopkins explained that his design was meant to encourage and inspire others to make something unique, no matter what the challenge.

“Pick something you really want to make, and don’t give up on your idea,” he said.

Judges for the contest include a representative from the Duck Tape Company, as well as Lory Student Center staff.

Carol Ann Pfeif, who works in the business office of the LSC, is one of the judges and is excited to see the creations.

“You see things like that on TV, and it’s amazing what they can do,” Pfeif said. “There are no limitations to what they can do.”

Pfeif also explained how she is interested in seeing what majors the students are representing in this contest.

The creations from participating students will be on display in the Bookstore from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. today. There will be a reception and awards ceremony where the winners of the contest will be announced at 4 p.m. in the store. The winning participants are not required to attend the reception to accept their prize.

Prizes for the contest are gift certificates to the Bookstore of $400 for first place, $200 for second, $100 for third and $50 for fourth place.

Contestants can pick up their creations after 5 p.m. today. The winning creations will become property of the CSU Bookstore.

Editor’s Note: Ian Hopkins is a former Collegian game reviewer.

Collegian writer Lianna Salva can be reached at verve@collegian.com.