Authors: Greg Mees and Erin Udell

Eat Up

It’s said there can never be too much of a good thing, but in the case of Larkburger, there definitely is –– and that good thing turns into something very bad.

Truffle oil is the good thing that takes a bad turn quickly. It’s so rich and really should only be used at the right time. However, Larkburger seems to use it in everything. There hasn’t been a time after I’ve eaten at Larkburger that I don’t feel sick, and I truly believe it’s because of the oil.

The year-old restaurant sits on the corner of College Avenue and Drake Road, and while the establishment has a fun, hip feeling, the food will only leave you feeling like you should have gone somewhere else. The price isn’t too bad, but I wouldn’t want to pay for something that isn’t going to make you feel very good an hour or so later.

While the truffle and Parmesan fries sound like a great choice, once again they are drenched in oil and you can almost see the layer of grease that the cheese is latching on to.

I will say though that the menu is definitely diverse and offers some interesting options including smaller portions, turkey burgers and, of course, the extra rich truffle burger.

Bottom line, Larkburger is trying too hard. Rich flavors are always overwhelming, and when it comes to burgers, there should be a mix of how the burger is actually cooked and the toppings in order to balance the flavors.

If I were giving advice about breaking down the menu, all that I can say is go light and eat smaller portions. The less you eat, the less you’re going to regret it later.

While those parm fries are good, I would suggest just having the regular ones and having one of the smaller burgers.

So if you’re in the mood for a really good burger, then read what Erin has to say, and go stuff your face at Stuft because it has an all-around better burger.

Drink Up

On a recent visit to Stuft, a burger bar in Old Town, I expected a pretty standard all-American meal.

But, upon seeing the beautiful and majestic Western, I knew this burger was anything but ordinary.

Ten minutes later, looking down on my empty plate, I felt a mix of self-hate, pain and pure joy. I was “Stuft.”

Located between Tony’s bar and the Aggie Theater on South College Avenue, Stuft has a stellar location and an even better menu, which has items that may seem a little off the wall but surprisingly delicious.

The Thanksgiving burger, for example, seems at first like something the devil would concoct while high. But, as a turkey burger topped with cranberry chutney, provolone cheese, stuffing and gravy, it seems more like an evil work of genius than anything else.

I went for something a tad bit more traditional with the Western, however, which was piled high with cheddar cheese, fried onion strings, bacon and barbeque sauce. And in case you were wondering, yes I did have a heart attack immediately after completing my meal — don’t worry, though, I rallied and finished my Parmesan garlic fries.

If meat isn’t your thing, Stuft has other options like veggie burgers and adventurous drinks like a Bacon Bloody Mary — something I was both intrigued and terrified by. You want a full-pound burger covered with cream cheese, caramelized onions, dill relish, garlic teriyaki sauce and a fried egg? Go to Stuft. I bet they have nearly everything your weird brain could come up with.

And while I’ll definitely be going back, it probably won’t be anytime soon because of the sheer pain I experienced from eating so much food. Stuft broke me, but like a phoenix I shall rise from these ashes only to become stronger … and fatter.

_Visual Managing Editor Greg Mees and News Editor Erin Udell can be reached at verve@collegian.com. _