Community Briefs 11/03/11

Authors: Collegian Staff Report

Tour the art of Old Town

Tomorrow marks the first Friday of November, which means Old Town Fort Collins art galleries will be participating in the First Friday Gallery Walk.

This event is held the first Friday of every month. Art galleries are open from 6 to 9 p.m. and attendees can go on a self-guided tour of the galleries throughout Old Town. Refreshments are usually served at the galleries.

Some of the participating art galleries include Art on Mountain, the Center for Fine Art Photography, Lincoln Center Galleries, Wadoo Furniture Co. and others.

More information can be found at fortcollinsgallerywalk.com. The event is sponsored by Chache Bank & Trust, KUNC 91.5 Public Radio, Beet Street and the Downtown Business Association.

City of Fort Collins offers branch pick up

After last week’s snowfall, which caused several local trees to crack under pressure, Fort Collins has created a limb pick-up schedule for residents who have excess broken branches.

The City offers residents two free options to getting rid of the limbs, including curbside pick up and a recycling drop off. Branches left at the drop off and picked up will be turned into mulch, which will then be given away in the spring, free of charge.

For residents of Larimer County who live outside of Fort Collins’ city limits, county officials say branch pick-up is not possible due to the magnitude of the county, which is more than 2,600 square miles. Residents are encouraged to contact their homeowners’ association for assistance, if possible.

Share your leaves

Is your yard covered in leaves that you don’t know what to do with? Are you seeking for more material to add to your mulch or compost for your garden?

The City of Fort Collins’ Environmental Services Division sponsors a year-round leaf exchange program, which helps residents locate recycling options for their unwanted leaves. Participants can also use the program to obtain leaves to use for mulching or composting in their yards or gardens.

The Fort Collins Leaf Exchange is an email-based service that uses Yahoo Groups to organize the transaction of leaves between participants who want to get rid of theirs and who are in need of more leaves.
The program is only available to registered users. To get involved, visit the organization’s website at groups.yahoo.com/group/fcleaf_exchange/. After registering, users can post that their leaves are either wanted or available to other members of the leaf exchange.

Cultural comedy show

In honor of Native American Heritage Month, which lasts through November, Campus Activities, AISES, Native American Cultural Center and the Lila B. Morgan Fund are coming together to host “Another Indian Uprising,” a stand-up comedy show on Friday at 5 p.m. in the Lory Student Center East Ballroom.

Comedians Jim Ruel, Shishonia Livingston and Gilbert Brown, plan on talking about their lives and identities as Native Americans.

The event is open and free to the public.