Authors: Katie Leigh Hutt

I am a feminist. I wear make-up, I shave my legs and I don’t burn my bras, but I am still a feminist.

I believe in the equality of men and women and not the dominance of either sex. But the thing I believe in the most is the worth and beauty that every woman holds.

Our society teaches us that women are meant to be silent and elegant. Women were created simply to please man and be used by them and therefore should dress and act accordingly. Our society tells women that their only worth is as objects. Society tells us that if a woman is sexy enough and has money, the she has fulfilled all her potential. Because of this, women don’t live to their full potential and are missing out on all that the world has to offer.

With role models like Britney Spears, Miley Cyrus, Paris Hilton and “The Desperate Housewives,” it’s no wonder why women aren’t running the White House or are rarely the founders of major organizations and companies. And the fact that women are almost never in the history books and still to this day are given less publicity than men doesn’t help in showing women all the potential and possibilities they have. But what about real women like Wanagri Maathai, who was the first woman in Kenya to receive a PhD and Nobel Peace Prize? Or Condoleezza Rice, J. K. Rowling, Hayley Williams, the lead singer of Paramore, or Audrey Hepburn, who was not only an actress but also one of the founders of UNICEF?

Finding powerful and strong female role models is only the first step to fulfilling our full potential.

The next step is to realize how absolutely beautiful and wonderful you are, just as you are (the second part of that is crucial!). Every single inch of you is filled with beauty and power.

Your worth, your strength and your potential is astronomical! Women were created to complete man. They fill in the places where men are weak and vice-versa. Together we complete each other in the most perfect way. Women were not created to be walked on by man or to be servants for men. Women are a precious gift to be adored, appreciated and taken care of.

If only all of you could see how wonderful and magnificent you really are. Your love and compassion can end wars and protect lives. Your motherly instincts are what repair the world and provide development in communities that are suffering. When a woman is educated, she educates those around her. (Just think about how much we love to talk.) You are the answer the world has been looking for.

Stand tall, strand strong and encourage the women that surround you. Know that you obtain more worth and power than you’ve ever imagined, and no one can take that away from you. I see the dreams that fill your hearts and know that they are possible as long as you continue to run after them.

I am a feminist because I believe and see the greatness that is in each and every woman. I encourage women to tell me everything that is beautiful about themselves and to never feel bad for loving themselves. Society has told them to list their flaws, and that it’s conceited to love themselves. But I am hear to say, women of the world, stand up and embrace the beauty that is you!

Katie Leigh Hutt is a junior art major.