Community Briefs 11/01/11

Authors: Collegian Staff Report

Basketball starts season with exhibition game

The CSU men’s basketball team starts off their season with a home game tonight at 7 p.m. The Ram’s will be facing CSU-Pueblo in an exhibition game.

CSU holds a 5-0 record against the CSU-Pueblo Timberwolves in regular season play.

Pueblo, who plays in the Rocky Mountain Athletic Conference, finished last season with an 11-18 record. CSU finished last season 19-13.

The game is free to all students and $12 to the public.

November is Native American Heritage Month

In association with Native American Heritage Month, CSU’s Native American Cultural Center has organized events spanning the month of November in partnership with other groups on campus.

The Native American Cultural Center aims to increase knowledge on campus about Native American culture, history and customs.

The month kicks off with the event Native HIV/AIDS Update & National Native HIV/AIDS Awareness Day Social Media at noon in The Lory Student Center, Room 203. Followed by Erotics of Colonialism: Reinventing Pocahontas as Avatar at 5 p.m. in the Virginia Dale Room in the LSC.

ASAP brings Harry Potter to campus

Tonight ASAP will be showing parts one and two of “Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows” as part of their Blockbuster Blast event.

Both movies will be shown back to back with part 1 at 5 p.m. and part 2 at 7 p.m.

The event will be held in the North Ballroom of the LSC. The price to attend is $2 for a single movie and $4 for both.

Paige named Mountain West Player of the Week

Breion Paige, a junior middle blocker for the Rams, was awarded, for the first time, as Mountain West Player of the Week.

Paige ended the week with an average of 2.83 kills per set, through a total of 17 kills with no errors in two games against San Diego State and UNLV this week.

CSU has received this award four times in 10 weeks.

The volleyball team’s next game will be held Friday at 7 p.m. in Moby Arena.