Authors: Emily Horn

If you happen to see zombies, ghosts and goblins circling the Oval this Saturday, don’t be afraid: it’s all part of the CSU triathlon team’s annual Halloween-themed 5K race, which both benefits the team and celebrates Halloween spirit.

“This Halloween-themed race is a favorite for those who enjoy wearing a costume while running,” said Kyle Bevers, secretary of the triathlon team.

And while the first male and female finishers of the race each receive a $50 cash prize, there will also be chances for other awards as, well as a costume contest. The first 250 entrants to the race will also receive long-sleeved shirts.

This year marks the second annual Halloween 5K hosted by the team, with proceeds going directly toward fundraising for their trip to the Collegiate National Triathlon Championships in Alabama this spring.

“We are hoping to see more CSU students and faculty along with community members out this year (at the race),” Bevers said. “We thoroughly appreciate all the support we receive, from sponsorships and donations to participants who want to see the CSU tri-team thrive.”
The race is designed to be family-friendly, with daycare provided to let parents attend the race without worrying about where their kids are. It also takes place on a dog-friendly course.

Following the race there will be raffle drawings, food, free massages and a “Thriller” dance-off to keep with the Halloween spirit.

Senior health and exercise science major Eliza Finney has been a member of the triathlon team since last fall, and said she thought last year’s race was a success.

“It was really great just to see a lot of people come out, and a lot of people did group costumes, like Mario Kart,” Finney said. “It was nice to see people having a good time and not taking it too seriously.”

The triathlon team began in 1994, growing steadily each year, and is now comprised of more than 80 members.

“Several CSU student triathletes have gone on to race at the pro, amateur and elite levels,” Bevers said. “With a wide range of experience levels, we encourage any and all students interested in multisport to join our club, or at least check it out.”

In addition to practicing their sport, the triathlon team is also dedicated to volunteer work.

“This past summer, we helped numerous race production companies host races, mainly triathlons,” Bevers said. “Our team requires members to volunteer at various events throughout the year in order to receive to travel and race at USA Triathlon Collegiate Nationals in Tuscaloosa, Ala., in the spring.”

Collegian writer Emily Horn can be reached at news@collegian.com

Race

• Date: Saturday, Oct. 29
  • Time: Registration at 7:30am, race at 9am
  • Where: The Oval