Authors: Sarah Fenton

Kisses for Troops, a national philanthropic event, is jumping off the pages of magazine ads and into the lives of members of the Pi Beta Phi sorority house on campus.

Sponsored by magazines “Seventeen” and “Cosmo,” as well as Maybelline Cosmetics, the event will kick off at 4 p.m. Wednesday ]and will give women from around the community the opportunity to send kissed postcards to U.S. troops.

Although the local chapter has not been previously involved in Kisses for Troops, this year “Cosmo” magazine chose them to be a leader in hosting the event in both the U.S. and in Canada.

“When we were presented the opportunity to host Kisses for Troops we couldn’t pass it up,” Sorority President Jannette Lannen told the Collegian in an email.

The event is free and open to the public, and with 400 guests confirmed on the event’s Facebook page, Lannen hopes for a good turn out.

“I expect the event to be very exciting and successful because it is completely free and it is for a great cause,” Lannen said. “We expect all women to come and support such a wonderful philanthropy because this is something that anybody can support and understand.”

While the event offers free food, soda and makeovers by Maybelline Cosmetic professionals, it also hopes to send approximately 1,000 kissed postcards to troops.

Not only will these postcards arrive by New Year’s Day, Maybelline Cosmetics has agreed to donate $1 for every postcard to the USO, an organization with the mission is to uplift the morale of U.S. soldiers.

Even though the sorority knew that chapters around the nation had the opportunity to host the event; the surprise was still surreal to many sorority members.

“Our members cheered and gasped when we told them all of the exciting attributes of the event.” Lannen said.

According to Jordan Goldman, the vice president of philanthropy for the sorority, Pi Beta Phi was chosen because they have been historically “an outstanding chapter throughout the nation.”

“We are so appreciative that we were even considered to host this event. We would love to make this event a great success, to help our troops while helping women feel glamorous,” Lannen said.

The event will be held at the Pi Beta Phi house, 625 West Lake St. and will run for four hours, beginning at 4 p.m. and ending at 8 p.m.

Collegian Writer Sarah Fenton can be reached at news@collegian.com.