Authors: Moonier Said

To celebrate their 21st “Lambdaversary,” the women of Lambda Theta Nu Sorority, Inc. will be hosting a series of events, ranging from stress-coping seminars, to bowling, to a Halloween party.

“The events were chosen to stay true to our pillars of academic excellence, community service and sisterhood,” said sorority President Guadalupe Davila.

Lambda Theta Nu Sorority, Inc. came to CSU in 1990 as the first Latina Greek organization in Colorado. It is now part of CSU’s Multicultural Greek Council, representing different ethnic groups on campus.

While this week’s events aim at getting students to have fun and relax, they are also incorporating fundraising.

The fundraiser is for the Latina Youth Leadership Conference (LYLC), with donations going toward giving young girls a chance to attend school. The fundraiser began on Monday and ends Saturday.

The conference was founded to help young girls have an impact in their communities, develop leadership skills and expand their educational horizons.

“In order to celebrate our chapter anniversary, we coordinate activities that highlight our purpose of advancing women in higher education,” Davila said.

President Davila hopes fundraising goes well for the LYLC so the sorority can bring in girls from middle schools and show them the excitement of coming to college.

To kick off the week, sorority members started selling sweet and spicy Mexican candy at the Flea Market on Monday, with sales continuing on Wednesday.

Social events held on Wednesday and Saturday will include bowling at Chippers Lanes with all the Lambda sisters, as well as a “Lambdaversary” party held inside El Centro on Thursday.

Finishing off the school week, the women of Lambda Theta Nu Sorority, Inc. will host a Halloween party at Eloy’s Restaurant on Friday night. The sisters will then finish Lambda week on Saturday with the Lambda and Family social in Denver.

Esmeralda Rodriguez, a member of Lambda, spoke about the purpose of Lambda week and what it means to the sorority as a whole.

“This week represents a sense of accomplishment for every sister that has been part of the Beta chapter of Lambda Theta Nu Sorority Inc. because we continue to be a good asset to CSU and the Fort Collins community,” Rodriguez said.

And despite not having a house near campus like other sororities, members of Lamda Theta Nu Sorority, Inc. say they still bond with each other through community engagement and academic excellence.

“We are non-traditional, but we still act as a family,” said Crystal Aguiera, a senior sorority member and biology and biomedical engineering major.

Collegian writer Moonier Said can be reached at news@collegian.com.

• Wednesday, Oct 26: Study with the Lambdas, CSU library. 6 to 7 p.m.
    Bowling with the Lambdas at Chippers Lanes, 7:30 to 9:30 p.m.
  • Thursday, Oct 27: 21st Lambdaversary in El Centro, 11 a.m. to 1 p.m.
    Friday, Oct 28: Halloween Party at Eloy’s Restaurant, 10 p.m. to 2 a.m.
  • Saturday, Oct 29: Lambda and Family Social in Denver, 2 p.m.