Community Briefs 10/25/11

Authors: Collegian Staff Report

Lambda Week honors multicultural sorority

Lambda Theta Nu Sorority, Inc is dedicating this week to celebrating 21 years of being a part of CSU’s campus.

Thursday is the official 21st anniversary, or “Lambdaversary,” of the beta chapter of Lambda Theta Nu Sorority, Inc on campus, but there are celebratory events every day through Saturday.

Events range from a stress management workshop and study session to a bowling night and Halloween party, along with other activities.

Lambda Theta Nu Sorority, Inc is part of CSU’s Multicultural Greek Council, and was also the first Latina sorority founded in Colorado.

Stand up comic celebrates GLBTQ History Month

To celebrate October as GLBTQ History Month, the GLBT Resource Center, along with other organizations on campus, has hosted several events throughout the past few weeks, including a poetry slam, a workshop on safe dating and others.

Tonight, Campus Activities is sponsoring a comedy show by Karen Williams, an actress, writer lecturer in addition to a stand-up comic.

The event is at 6 p.m. in the Ramskeller, and food will be half-off its regular price for those who attend.

Williams began doing stand-up comedy as a single lesbian mom in the 1980s while she was living in Berkeley. She is known for her witty banter, commentary and strong connection with her audience.

In addition to her stand-up comedy, she also gives humor workshops that aim to increase participants’ self-confidence and build self-awareness. They are also meant to promote tolerance and respect for others.