Community Briefs 10/19/11

Authors: Collegian Staff Report

Learning to keep thin 101

In order to keep the CSU community slim and healthy, The Nutrition Center is offering a 12-week program to assist in good lifestyle choices.

Healthy You: weight management and mindful eating program lasts 12 weeks and helps with hunger and appetite, portion control, label reading, eating out, etc.

The cost for the class is $175 and signing up with a partner saves you $50.

Classes are held each Wednesday from 6 to 7 p.m. through Oct. 26.

Registration can be done online or by calling (970) 491-8615.

A lecture of ecological proportions

The renowned ecologist Tom Hobbs will present a seminar called “Models for insight in ecology” Wednesday at 3 p.m.

Hobbs has worked on population and community ecology of large herbivores for the last three decades. He has also provided help in a basic theory linking animal populations to their environment.

Since 2001 Hobbs has been with CSU and before that served for 20 years as a research scientist for the Colorado Division of Wildlife.

CSU professor honored with Schawlow Prize

On Monday, Jorge Rocca was given one of the highest honors for a physicist, the 2011 Arthur L. Schawlow Prize in Laser Science.

The American Physical Society gave Rocca, a CSU distinguished professor, the honor.

Rocca is an international leader in the development of compact X-ray lasers.

“This prize is an outstanding and well-deserved tribute to Dr. Rocca and his pioneering laser research,” said Colorado State University President Tony Frank in a news release. “This is also a great honor for Colorado State University –– and all of us at CSU are enormously proud of Jorge and the exceptional research team he has established, which continues to transform our understanding of how lasers can advance science, medicine and our world for the benefit of humankind.”

CSU alumnus inducted into National 4-H Hall of Fame

Raleigh Brooks, a CSU alumnus in 1951 with a bachelor’s of science in animal husbandry, has been inducted into the National 4-H Hall of Fame.

The Timnath resident has been involved with youth and agriculture in Colorado since his CSU days.

He was among 15 people this year recognized for lifetime achievements and contributions.

He has managed an 18,000 acre ranch/irrigated farm with 500 Black Angus cattle. Brooks showed many of these cattle at the National Western Stock Show.