Boise State blows out CSU

Authors: Kevin Lytle

Boise State exploded out of the gates to take a 21-0 lead in the first quarter and never looked back as they defeated CSU 63-13.

CSU received the ball to start the game and went three-and-out on its first drive, BSU marched straight down the field and opened the scoring with a Doug Martin 26-yard touchdown run.

After another CSU punt, Martin struck again.

The senior burst down the left side for a 65 yard touchdown run to make it 14-0 BSU. The long run put him over 100 yards early in the first quarter.

BSU scored yet another touchdown after partially blocking a punt and getting the ball at their own 48.

On the first play of the drive, quarterback Kellen Moore hit Tyler Shoemaker down the middle for an easy 52-yard score to make it 21-0 at the end of the first quarter.

The rolling Boise offense continued in the second quarter when D.J. Harper scored on a long touchdown run of his own.

His run down the right side of the defense gave BSU a 28-0 lead.

That came one play after CSU linebacker Mike Orakpo walked off slowly after he hit his head after losing his helmet. He did not return to the game with a head injury.

The drubbing continued after a Raymond Carter fumble gave BSU the ball at the 33.

Moore made it a family connection when he hit his brother Kirby for a nine yard touchdown to make it 35-0 with 10 minutes remaining in the half.

The packed house at Hughes Stadium finally got a reason to cheer when Thomas connected with Thomas Coffman for a diving 46-yard catch.

On the next play Thomas threw a lateral to Crockett Gillmore who threw to Joe Brown for the easy touchdown.

The joy was immediately shot down when the extra point was blocked to make it 35-6 BSU.

The CSU defense then got the ball back on a fumble that was forced and recovered by Momo Thomas.

And the offense took advantage when coach Steve Fairchild went back to the bag of tricks.

Freshman receiver Charles Lovett took a handoff on the reverse and threw 20 yards to Matt Yemm for the TD. It was the second touchdown pass of the season for Lovett.

BSU held a 35-13 lead at half.

CSU forced a BSU punt on the first drive of the third quarter and seemed to have some real momentum, but BSU faked the punt and ran 36 yards for a first down.

Shortly thereafter Martin recorded his third touchdown of the game, this one for 14 yards.

Shoemaker added another touchdown on a 62 yard pass from Moore after the CSU secondary bit on a play fake. The score made it 49-13.

An interception by Thomas then gave BSU the ball inside the CSU 20.

And they quickly capitalized when Moore hit Gabe Linehan for a three yard touchdown.

That would prove to be Moore’s last action of the game. When BSU next came out on offense Joe Southwick was in at quarterback.

BSU added one more touchdown after Moore’s departure and it was the final scoring of the game as BSU won 63-13.

Check Monday’s Collegian for more on the game.