Community Briefs 10/14/11

Authors: Collegian Staff Report

Rams to ‘White Out’ Hughes Stadium

Rams football will face No. 5 Boise State tomorrow at 4 p.m., and they’ll be wearing their all-white uniforms at home for the first time since 1980.

Fans are also encouraged to wear white, and Poudre Valley Health System and The Mtn. combined to produce white t-shirts that they’ll pass out to the first 5,000 attendees.

This will be a historical game for Boise State and CSU –– Boise State has never played a Mountain West game, and this will be the first time CSU and Boise State football have ever matched up.

Learn the ‘Zen’ approach to living

Tonight at 7 p.m. in Lory Student Center room 228, professional “dharma teachers” Larry Ward and Peggy Rowe Ward will teach how to achieve peace, karma and bliss in a turbulent world.

The Wards were ordained by Zen Master Thich Nhat Hanh in 2001, and they co-authored “Love’s Garden: A Guide to Mindful Relationships,” which was named one of the “Best Buddhist Books of 2009.”

The event, Zen Practice and Your Brain: Where’s the Love, is sponsored by ASCSU, the CSU Zen Club, the Colorado Community of Mindful Living and Peaceful Heart Sangha.

A night among the the stars

This Sunday at 6 p.m. at Bobcat Ridge Natural Area, behind Horsetooth Reservoir, CSU students and Fort Collins residents can explore the elusive, celestial world of the sky.

The Northern Colorado Astronomical Society will give a “tour” of various constellations with high-powered telescopes, and they’ll answer any astronomical questions attendees may have.
The event is free and open to the public.

Best-selling science writer will speak to community

Tonight at 7 p.m at the Hilton Fort Collins, writer Dava Sobel will speak about her latest book, “A More Perfect Heaven” (to be released October 2011).

In the book, Sobel realizes her long-standing dream to write a play about Nicolaus Copernicus.
The reading is part of a series of free author evenings presented by Friends of the CSU Libraries and Poudre River Friends of the Library.

The event is free and open to the public, and a book signing and sale will follow the reading.