Community Briefs 10/13/11

Authors: Collegian Staff Report

CSU hosts 10th Annual Journalism Day

More than a thousand aspiring high school journalists will flood the Lory Student Center today as part of Journalism Day, an event sponsored by CSU and the Colorado High School Press Association.

Publication advisers will accompany students to work sessions throughout the all-day event, which includes more than 30 work sessions dedicated to the craft of journalism.

“The best thing for students, in my opinion, is that they get to see that there’s still a lot of opportunity in the fields of journalism and professional communication,” said Greg Luft, chairman of CSU’s Department of Journalism and Technical Communication, in a release on the CSU website.

America’s Funniest Home Videos: CSU style

America’s famous television show featuring humorous and outrageous videos from average Joe’s throughout the nation, “America’s Funniest Home Videos”, serves as the inspiration for the ASAP, the Association for Student Activity Programming’s event, Campus Funniest Videos.

Students have been able to submit videos this past week, and tonight they will be shown in the Ramskeller at 5 p.m. The audience will vote for their favorite video, and prizes will be awarded to the winners.

The grand prize for the winner is valued at $500, and audience members can also win prizes through drawings.

Food at the Ramskeller will be 50 percent off for attendees, and admission to the event is free.