Community Briefs 10/11/11

Authors: Collegian Staff Report

10th annual state Journalism Day Thursday

More than 1,400 aspiring journalists will be on campus Thursday for State Journalism Day at CSU, an all-day event at the Lory Student Center that connects high school journalists with journalism professionals.

“The best thing for students, in my opinion, is that they get to see that there’s still a lot of opportunity in the fields of journalism and professional communication,” said Greg Luft, chairman of CSU’s Department of Journalism and Technical Communications.

Journalism Day participants will also have the opportunity to tour various on-campus facilities, including the Collegian office, CTV and KCSU.

Anthropologist discusses teenage jobs in fast food restaurants

While many consider crappy minimum wage jobs as teenagers to be a right of passage, Carol Stack, an anthropologist emeritus at the University of California-Berkeley, thinks that they are something more.

Stack will be speaking at 9 a.m. today in Clark C 256, and will discuss her research regarding teenagers working in fast food restaurants, focusing on “the storms of adolescence and the search for dignity as a young person,” according to the events calendar.

The lecture is sponsored by the Anthropology Graduate Student Society.

Admissions Director elected to sit on national board

Jim Rawlins, the executive director of admissions at CSU, was voted president-elect of the National Association for College Admission Counseling (NACAC) during the association’s national conference. Rawlins will serve a three-year term.

“We must discuss not only who has access to college, but what types of college, and toward what ends,” he said in a news release regarding his goals for the organization.

Rawlins has been a member of NACAC since 2000 and also is a member of the Association of Chief Admission Officers of Public Universities. Rawlins earned a B.M. for music performance at Florida State University and an M.M. in music performance from Southern Methodist University.

He is currently working toward a Ph. D in educational leadership and policy studies at the University of Washington.

Jerr Boschee to present ‘The Global Rise of Social Enterprise’

Jerr Boschee, the founder and executive director of the Institute for Social Entrepreneurs, will present “The Global Rise of Social Enterprise” at 4 p.m. Thursday in the Rockwell Hall-West Bohemian Auditorium.

Boschee will address the success of many companies that started small and became large social enterprises. The event is free and open to the public.

Boschee has served as an advisor to social enterprises for 30 years and is recognized as a founder of the social enterprise movement.