Authors: Collegian Staff Report

The withdrawal date is drawing near, and if you’re not feeling too great about the direction in which your semester is heading, don’t add another “W” to your transcript or accept a failed grade. Go to the TILT building and they’ll help you make a U-Turn.

U-Turn is a program started by TILT (The Institute for Learning and Teaching) to help struggling students. U-Turn is a response to the university’s Early Grade Feedback Program, which gauges students’ academic performance in the first few weeks of the semester in some, but not all, 100-level courses.

Students can receive an “S” for “satisfactory” or a “U” for unsatisfactory, based on their progress.

“Our target population is students who received a ‘U,’” said Associate Director of Learning Programs Christie Yeadon. “These students are more likely to get a D or an F at the end of their course. We created this program to help them succeed.”

The program will be this Tuesday from 12:30 to 4:30 p.m. at the TILT Building on 801 Oval Drive.
Roughly 1,000 invitations were sent out to students who received U’s, but this is not an invitation-only party. Anyone who wants help can come.

There will be tutoring available to students who are struggling or who may be doing well but want to do better.

TILT staff will be waiting at the front door to guide students to the correct place. Students who participate are paired with a mentor, referred to as a navigator, who will help assess the student’s specific needs.

Students fill out a checklist divided into four groups: academics, social, health and finance. The checklist addresses specific needs, such as, “I’m having trouble making friends.”

Once the students have gone over their checklist with their navigator, the navigator will recommend organizations that can offer the student help. Around 20 organizations will be present in the TILT Great Hall.

“This is not a fair.” Yeadon said. “Students are paired with a navigator who helps them find resources and gives them personal help. The point is not for students to go around getting free stuff.”

After speaking to different organizations about their needs, students will meet up with their navigators a final time to make an “action plan.” The action plan will include at least three specific goals the student sets to address the needs they laid out in the checklist.

As a follow-up to U-Turn, TILT is putting on a series of mini workshops called U-Learn Saturday, October 12 from 10 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. in the Corbett Lounge.

U-Learn is designed to help students meet the goals they set during U-Turn by addressing subjects such as test-taking skills, time management, active learning and academic recovery. They even provide breakfast for students who don’t have a meal plan.

Collegian writer Blair Carpenter contributed to this report.

U-Turn: Oct. 11 12:30 to 4 p.m.

U-Learn: Oct. 15 10 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.

Learning Preferences Workshop: Oct. 17 4 to 4:40 p.m., Oct. 18 7 to 7:50 p.m., Oct. 20 5 to 5:50 p.m.

“Meeting the Needs of Today’s College Students”: Oct. 21 11 a.m. to 12 p.m.

Presentation & Speaking Skills Workshop: Oct. 24, 25, and 27

Academic Recovery Workshop: Oct. 31 4 to 4:50 p.m.