Authors: Collegian Editorial Board

Yesterday we lost a visionary who paved the way for much of the technology that has become a backbone of our generation.

Look down at your iPod, and thank Steve Jobs. Your phone, thank Jobs. Look at your computer, and thank Jobs. Watch a Pixar movie and thank Jobs.

As the co-founder of Apple Inc., a chief executive of Pixar Animation studios and a bold inventor he has made his mark on nearly every aspect of the technological world.

His innovation, which he pioneered in the face of criticism, paved the way for much of what our society uses on a daily basis.

Apple, led by Jobs, was able to market and create computers, smartphones, tablets and MP3 players made with a design that was both powerful and simple –– something few tech companies were able to do.

It was Jobs who marched in front of rooms full of reporters and tech experts and said, “Sometimes when you innovate, you make mistakes. It is best to admit them quickly, and get on with improving your other innovations.”

Jobs will not only be remembered as the man who founded Apple and carried it to soaring heights, he will be remembered for creating the future, for bringing science fiction to life and allowing all of us to follow.

The fragility of life stands in stark contrast to the ideas and technology that will live on, ingrained into our everyday life.

While Jobs may be gone, the seeds he planted into our plugged-in world will continue to bring forth new ideas we have yet to imagine.

Even as we write this, we’re listening to an iPod in our newsroom speakers. Thank you Steve, because otherwise, we’d be listening to a Zune.