Authors: Erik Carman

As students prepare for fall in these first few days of October, those involved in the Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual, Transgender student services (GLBT) office on campus are working to spread awareness of GLBT history month.

The GLBT office, which is located in the Lory Student Center, is a place that strives to make everyone feel accepted, said Emana Lukac, a freshman communication studies major.

Lukac said she was very excited for GLBT events throughout October, the most recent being a slam poetry reading by Andrea Gibson held in the Ramskeller on Monday.

“We have at least six events going on this month,” said Francisco Meda, a junior foreign languages and literature major and member of the GLBT community. “The main goal is to spread awareness.”

Meda stressed that the events being held this month were open to any students interested in participating, explaining that anyone interested in becoming involved in the GLBT community can be an “ally,” someone who supports social equality and gay rights.

“More people give us more say,” Lukac said.

Some events this month include a leadership building retreat and a drag show, held on Oct. 29 from 7 p.m. to 11 p.m.

The drag show, which is run by the Student Organization of GLBT (SOGLBT), is a bi-yearly event, with last year’s event bringing in almost 1,000 people.

This semester’s drag show will “bend gender ideals” said Meda, but more importantly, he continued, “it’s a lot of fun.”

Campus GLBT office director, K. Foula Dimopoulos, said the purpose of GLBT history month is to “educate broader communities about accomplishments made by members of the GLBT community.”

“History months serve to highlight people who have been traditionally and/or currently marginalized in society,” Dimopoulos said. “Particularly in the U.S.”

As for the events of GLBT history month, some members of the community say they look forward to it because of the good times and opportunities to make new friends.

“If you’re walking down the halls of the LSC and want to come in [the office], just come in,” Meda said. “We don’t judge, and we love meeting new people.”

Collegian writer Erik Carman can be reached at news@collegian.com.

GLBT Community on campus

• CSU is one of the few universities in the country that hosts a drag show on campus.
  • The GLBT office is one of the few places on campus with free printing.
  • A leadership retreat will be held in Pingree Park on Oct. 14, all students are welcome.
  • To learn more about getting involved in the GLBT community on campus, visit the office located in the Lory Student Center across from Off-Campus Life.