No lower form of life exists than that of the hypocrite. When I’ve previously compared the political class of this country to scum, parasites, insects and idiots, I inadvertently insulted scum, parasites, insects and idiots.

During the previous administration’s reign in the Oval Office, several senators pushed to restore the balance of power that shifted from legislative to executive. Senators Obama, Clinton, Kerry and Biden were all outspoken critics of the executive branch assuming powers in excess of the Constitution’s restrictions.

In 2006, the debt ceiling approached. When the votes were cast, Biden, Kerry, Clinton and Obama (you know, the current executive branch?) all voted against raising the debt ceiling. In fact, every Democratic Party senator voted against it.

So when the liberal pundits cried foul over Republicans standing against the increase this summer and claimed raising the debt ceiling had never been an issue before? Lies. The Democrats played politics then as well as now.

What were the responses of Democrats when they were called out on their hypocrisy this summer?

I’m paraphrasing, but, “I’ve always regretted voting against raising the debt ceiling in 2006,” was the general response.

As for restoring power to the legislative branch now that the Gang of Hypocrites is occupying the executive branch? Forget it. The current president took a very clear stance during the 2008 campaign when asked at a campaign stop if he would promise not to use signing statements to interpret Congress’ bills after signing them into law.

In front of a sign that read, “Change We Can Believe In,” then-Senator Zero responded, “Yeah.” He then explained the concept of checks and balances before submerging himself in typical political chicanery.

“Congress’ job is to pass legislation, and the president can veto it or can sign it. But what George Bush has been trying to do as part of his effort to accumulate more power in the presidency,” he then explained the purpose of signing statements before chastising Shrub’s practice of believing he can, “make laws as he’s going along.”

At that point, the majority of voters ages 18 to 30 failed to realize politicians have nigh universally said one thing during campaign and another in office. It won’t be the last time.

What has been Chairman Zero’s position on signing statements since taking office? Eight in 2009, five in 2010 and four thus far in 2011, nowhere near the total Shrub signed, but an awful long way from his promise of none.
Speaking of Shrub, his campaign in 2000 against Al Gore revolved around a promise to put a stop to nation building and policing the world. Any guesses how that worked out?
Just this summer, the president confronted China –– via the media –– regarding the artificial suppression of the Chinese currency in order to sustain a trade advantage over the U.S.

Of course, artificial suppression of currency’s value is significantly different from recklessly printing more currency, thereby decreasing the value as the U.S. Federal Reserve has been doing for months.

And in headlines this weekend, Congress is pushing forward with a resolution to confront China on the question of value control in order to, from everything I can tell, distract the population from the non-recovery taking place in the economy.

However, as previously mentioned, the Federal Reserve has been destroying the value of the dollar compared to everything except other fiat currencies. Gold, silver, oil, food and virtually everything else has gone up in cost compared to the dollar.

Where does this leave us? At some point, a Democratic population has to accept responsibility for their government. In all reality, if you despise the other party and tend to mock their politicians for stupidity or ignorance but can’t see the same flaws in the party you support, you’re being played for a fool.

Hypocrisy is the stench of both parties, and by majority I do not mean 50 percent plus one, I mean 95 percent (conservatively) of federal politicians act as hypocrites in either their personal lives or professional roles.

Speaking out publicly against school vouchers while sending their children to private schools is par for the course. On one hand they recognize the putridity of the public education mess they’ve created, while they use the other to slap low-income parents in the face with a chair.

We have two parties who clamor for restoration of checks and balances –– until they take over the branch most laden with power.

They’re willing to confront a sovereign nation that happens to be funding our government for currency manipulation –– while the civilian entity they created destroys the value of the currency paid back to that very same nation.

Most Washington politicians follow the status quo with the blind passion of religious zealotry.
Hypocrisy, religion be thy name.

Seth J. Stern wishes both parties the worst of luck. His pragmatic observation appears Mondays in the Collegian. He can be reached at letters@collegian.com.