Community Briefs 9/28/11

Authors: Collegian Staff Report

Third graders get some college learning at CSU

Today and Thursday, CSU will provide a little higher education to Poudre School District third graders.

For the 11th annual Ag Adventure students from 72 classrooms will learn about the science of agriculture and the sources of their food.

Nearly 200 CSU students from the College of Agricultural Sciences organize the teaching of the children. These students will also run interactive learning centers to guide the children through the process of food production and sources of food and fiber.

“I hope the kids learn about where their food comes from and leave knowing more about agriculture,” said Eliza Poet, a CSU junior majoring in animal science and agricultural business who chairs this year’s Ag Adventure planning group.

CSU President Tony Frank will also join the children at Ag Adventure.

Attacking obesity through social media

The author of the “Strong Women” series, Miriam Nelson, will address CSU and the Fort Collins community tonight in order to nip the nation’s growing obesity problem in the bud.

In light of studies suggesting our social and physical environments cause the obesity crisis, Nelson will share her approach of changing our health by harnessing social networking.

Her talk will offer insights on implementing a supportive social network and a healthy food and physical activity environment.

Nelson has appeared on “Oprah,” “The Today Show” and “Good Morning America.”

CSU Extension and Poudre Valley Health System Aspen Club present the event.

‘A Few Good Men’ opens at CSU

Tonight, the CSU theatre department presents the opening of, “A Few Good Men,” the Broadway play that served as the basis for the Oscar-winning 1992 movie.

The military drama will take place tonight at 7:30 p.m. in the Studio Theatre at the University Center for the Arts.

The play, which was written by Aaron Sorkin, follows the trial of two marines for the complicity in the death of a fellow marine from a measure known as “Code Red.”