Authors: Andrew Schaller

CSU completed a sweep of its first two conference opponents on Saturday, defeating the Boise State Broncos in straight sets (25-13, 25-17, 25-20).

Senior Katelyn Steffan led the attack for the Rams, recording 18.5 points and 14 kills to go along with 3 blocks.

“Kate is a gifted blocker and she changes what other teams have to do,” said coach Tom Hilbert after the game. “We were blocking very well; they had unforced errors because of our blocks.”

The Rams imposed their will on Boise State in the first set, maintaining the lead for the entire duration of the set. They attacked at .280 and only had 3 errors, while Boise State hit .000 with 9 errors.

In the second set, after Boise State took a 9-8 lead, Hilbert called a timeout, then as Hilbert put it, “Our team ran up a bunch of points on them, that was highlighted by Kate’s one-on-one stuff.”
Steffan acknowledged the importance of the timeout.

“We knew we had to refocus and come out more aggressive than they were,” she said.

The Rams did come out more aggressive following the timeout, taking a 21-12 lead en route to a 25-17 victory.

The third set featured five lead changes that culminated in a 25-20 victory for the Rams led by libero Deedra Foss’ 12 assists.

“Deedra’s ball control was really good today,” Steffan said. “Everyone had a lot of attempts, and I think that helped a lot.”

Foss distributed the ball well in the match, setting up an attack that had seven different players recording kills.

“When the passes are really good in transition, I try to give it to everyone,” Foss said.
The Rams will travel to Las Vegas, Nev. to play the University of Nevada Las Vegas in another Mountain West matchup.

In anticipation of the rest of the year’s conference schedule, Hilbert acknowledged the amount of parody this year in MW volleyball.

“It’s going to be crazy, because I think there’s some talented teams in this league, and they’re all beating each other,” he said. “We’re going to have to go out ready to play every single weekend.”

Following the UNLV game, the Rams will travel to San Diego State University next Sunday before returning home to battle Seattle University on Oct. 6.

Volleyball Beat Reporter Andrew Schaller can be reached at sports@collegian.com.