Authors: Kevin Lytle

LOGAN, UTAH—The CSU football team captured its third win of the season in remarkable fashion after stopping a potential game-winning two-point conversion in the second overtime of the game.

CSU led 35-28 after scoring on its possession in the second overtime.

Utah State scored a touchdown on a 25-yard run by Robert Turbin to cut the deficit to one.

The coaching staff for Utah State then decided to go for the win with a two-point conversion, rather than go another overtime with a routine PAT.

Quarterback Chuckie Keeton fired for the end zone and the pass fell incomplete. But a pass interference call gave Utah State another chance, this time from the 1-yardline.

The ball was then handed to Turbin. He was chased off the left side by C.J. James before he was forced out of bounds before the end zone by cornerback Momo Thomas.

The tackle preserved the 35-34 win and gave CSU a 3-1 record.
But overtime wouldn’t have even been possible if not for a late error by Utah State.

With less than two minutes remaining and CSU down eight, the Rams had to punt from near midfield.

The high punt was muffed by the returner and recovered by CSU long-snapper Tanner Hedstrom, his second recovery of a fumbled punt on the game.

The Rams then scored with less than a minute remaining on a Chris Nwoke run.

Down two, CSU was pushed back on the two-point conversion by a false start penalty. Pete Thomas fired a pass to Crockett Gillmore to tie the game and send it to overtime.

Utah State got the ball first in overtime and promptly scored on a Turbin touchdown, one of his four on the night.

CSU responded with a touchdown pass to Gillmore, setting up the final overtime.

The Rams then got the ball first in overtime and scored on another touchdown from Nwoke, setting up the final stop by the defense.

The comeback came after CSU went into halftime down 7-3.
The opening score of the game came via a 14-yard touchdown run by Michael Smith.

He set up his own score by breaking a 52-yard run to get the ball deep in CSU territory.

The CSU offense responded with a 42-yard field goal in the last minute of the half.

Those scores came after some missed opportunities by CSU.

The first quarter saw Utah State fumble twice, but both times the CSU offense was unable to take advantage.

The Rams best chance to score in the opening quarter came when Utah State fumbled a punt and CSU recovered at the 35. But two plays for no gain and a sack of Pete Thomas prevented the Rams from even attempting a field goal.

The Utah State offense came out in a no-huddle attack to start the second half and it paid immediate dividends when Robert Turbin scored on a 3-yard run to cap an 80-yard drive.

Midway through the third quarter a CSU punt pinned Utah State deep in its own territory. And the CSU defense made a huge play to get the Rams back in the game.

James Skelton forced a fumble and Shaquil Barrett picked it up and ran it in for a 15-yard touchdown to cut the Utah State lead to 14-10.

The defensive touchdown was followed by a couple straight stops for the defense, but the offense was unable to take advantage until a field goal by Ben DeLine cut the deficit to 14-13 less than a minute into the fourth quarter.

Check Monday’s Collegian for in-depth coverage on the CSU win.