Community Briefs 9/22/11

Authors: Collegian Staff Report

The conclusion of the Diversity Symposium

Today marks the final day of CSU’s Diversity Symposium with events from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. in the Lory Student Center.

The events today will range from topics like the natural hair movement, hate speech vs. free speech, manhood and civility in political discourse.

Throughout the day there will be 10 talks all focused on the challenge of civility in community.

It will conclude with a conversation on civility in political discourse with former Colorado Rep. Bob Beauprez and Rep. David Skaggs moderated by CSU political science professor John Straayer. The conversation will take place in the middle and east ballrooms from 3 to 4:30 p.m.

The symposium aims to provide the community with a way to tackle issues in a respectful and dignified manner in our diverse society.

Finding leaders to help children

Students can learn how to get involved in public service today in Clark A104 from 5:50 to 7 p.m. where a panel will discuss experiences helping children and communities in urban areas.

The panel will include alumni from Teach For America, Peace Corps, City Year and AmeriCorps NCCC.

Teach for America aims to enlist future leaders in the effort of eliminating educational inequality.

The Associated Students for CSU sponsored the event.

Letters for Cans Around the Oval

The Office of Student Leadership, Involvement and Community Engagement is putting on a letter writing party to promote awareness and raise money for hunger in Larimer County.

The event will consist of writing letters to local representatives encouraging them to work toward reducing local hunger and poverty.

Participants can also write letters to their family and friends asking them to donate to the Food Bank of Larimer County and Cans Around the Oval.

‘Pulp Fiction’ at New Belgium Brewery

The final movie of New Belgium Brewery’s summer bike-in film series is coming to an end tonight, showing the cult film classic “Pulp Fiction” as the series’ sixth and final movie.

The film starts at 8 p.m. at the brewery at 500 Linden St.

New Belgium uses its beer sales to help support local non-profits.

— Collegian Staff Report