Authors: Darin Atteberry

It’s undeniable that what happens at City Hall impacts the everyday lives of students. It’s equally indisputable that the actions of Colorado State University students impact the greater community.

That’s why I’m grateful for this opportunity to contribute a monthly column to the Collegian — to reinforce our commitment to open communication between you, CSU students, and the City of Fort Collins.

We are fortunate that CSU calls Fort Collins home. Like other university towns, Fort Collins residents take advantage of the diverse activities that occur on campus: CSU football games, orchestra concerts and let’s not forget the nationally-ranked women’s volleyball team! Yet it’s your involvement with the community that sets us apart from others. You help make Fort Collins a special place.

Through various events and programs such as CSUnity and Fall Clean Up, you invest in making Fort Collins one of the nation’s best places to live. These events are not simply “feel-good” activities; they make a significant, positive impact on the quality of our neighborhoods.

For example, this year Fall Clean Up will take place on Saturday, Nov. 5. The event will attract hundreds of students who will assist more than 60 elderly or disabled neighbors by raking leaves, cleaning gutters, and trimming bushes. If you’re interested in helping out, visit ocssral.colostate.edu and sign up by Oct. 19.

Although this event happens every year, I’m still pleasantly surprised by your dedication to helping your neighbors in need.

Being a university community also has its challenges. All you have to do is skim recent headlines to see examples of complex issues that impact students and the greater community. Parties and noise, student housing and U 2 are all intricate issues that reinforce the importance of open communication.

I encourage you to engage in conversations surrounding these and other upcoming topics. We plan to examine the current state and future needs of student housing. We will begin construction of MAX, Colorado’s first bus rapid transit system. Best described as the bus version of a light rail, MAX will provide a more convenient and timely north-south transit option along Mason Street. We plan to talk to the student community about traffic safety and new tools to encourage bicycling.

These are important topics, and we need your involvement. One way to stay connected is through the Community Liaison program. The City of Fort Collins and CSU jointly fund this program to enhance relations between students and their neighbors.

From the volunteer events mentioned above to party registration, to Community Welcome and to advice about off-campus living, the Community Liaison program is an easy way for you to connect with the city and your surrounding community.

I also encourage you to contact me directly at 970-221-6505 or datteberry@fcgov.com. I welcome your comments, questions and feedback.

I fundamentally believe that many of the awards and recognition Fort Collins has received over the years is due, in large part, to you and what you bring to this community. Thank you for what you contribute to Fort Collins. I hope you will continue to engage in making our community a great place to live, work and play.

Darin Atteberry is the Fort Collins City Manager.