Community briefs 9/20/11

Authors: Collegian Staff Report

CSU spokesman takes job at North Carolina State University

Brad Bohlander, a longtime CSU spokesman, has accepted a position as chief communications officer and associate vice chancellor for university communications at North Carolina State University.

Bohlander, a CSU graduate, has been working at the university since 2002 and will begin his duties in North Carolina this November.

“Brad is a real pro and has done outstanding things for his alma mater, and we have no doubt he will continue to bring credit to CSU as he does great things for NC State,” said Tom Milligan, vice president for External Relations, in a news release.

A national search will start immediately to replace Bohlander.

“Colorado State is a tremendous university with outstanding leadership, and I feel both proud and fortunate to have been able to work alongside so many amazing individuals across campus as part of this community over the last decade,” Bohlander said.

“All Things Considered” at today’s Diversity Symposium

National Public Radio’s Michele Norris will headline this year’s Diversity Symposium at 7 p.m. tonight in the Lory Student Center Main Ballroom.

Norris is the co-host of NPR’s “All Things Considered,” and released her first book, “The Grace of Silence: A Memoir” in 2010.

The Diversity Symposium will run until Sept. 22 in the Lory Student Center, and will include more than 30 sessions where a variety of speakers will discuss issues surrounding diversity.

For more information on the symposium and a complete schedule, visit diversity.colostate.edu.

CSU water expert publishes book to help private industry tackle public projects

In light of increased private involvement in public works projects, Neil Grigg, a CSU water expert, has published a book directed at industry’s growing role in public water infrastructure projects.

“We’ve got so many unmet infrastructure needs and water needs in the country,” Grigg said. “It’s hard to convince people to invest in these, and the government’s having a hard time all the time. The action is going to shift to the private structure.”

Grigg is a civil engineering professor who has been at CSU since 1967. He has authored and co-authored about 200 publications and several other books about water resources to engineering and infrastructure.

October Board of Governors meeting moved from Fort Collins to Pueblo

To accommodate the CSU-Pueblo presidential search, the October CSU System Board of Governors meeting will move from Fort Collins, where it was originally scheduled, to Pueblo.

The December BOG meeting has been moved from Pueblo to Fort Collins to compensate.

The CSU-Pueblo Presidential Search began in November 2010 when then CSU-Pueblo President Joe Garcia was elected lieutenant governor. A BOG committee is tasked with finding three candidates to be presented before the board as finalists.

CSU System Chancellor Joe Blake has said that he will resign once the Pueblo presidential post is filled.