Authors: Kevin Lytle

DENVER—A late second quarter swing following a CSU mistake changed the complexion of this year’s Rocky Mountain Showdown and helped aid a 28-14 Rams loss.

With two minutes left in the second quarter with the score tied 7-7, CU dropped back for a punt.

The punt was partially blocked. But when it came down, a CSU player touched it, making it a live ball and CU recovered.

CU followed the lucky break with a touchdown at the end of the half. With a third and 10 from the 26, Hansen scrambled and found Kyle Cefalo in the back of the end zone to give CU a 14-7 halftime lead.

“You look at the field position there and it gave them a good chance to go get seven when we were probably going to get a minimum of three out of it,” CSU coach Steve Fairchild said. “There were a couple swings in the game like that but there’s no funny bounces; that’s just us not making plays.”

A long CU drive in the fourth quarter that ended in a touchdown sealed the win for the Buffs, 28-14.

CSU opened the scoring on the opening drive of the game.

The Rams got a 34-yard reception from Crockett Gillmore. And CSU scored when Pete Thomas ran in from four yards out for his first rushing touchdown of his career.

The CU offense only gained one first down in the quarter, and that came after a personal foul on CSU.

The game was chippy early on. CU had four personal foul penalties in the first half, while CSU had two.

CU responded late in the second quarter with an 80-yard drive of its own. The Buffs tied the score when quarterback Tyler Hansen scored from two yards out on an option run.

CU broke open a 14-point lead in the third quarter when Hansen hooked up with Toney Clemons for a 44-yard touchdown pass.

The lead was cut to 21-14 when coach Steve Fairchild broke out his bag of tricks.

From the 23-yard line, Thomas threw backwards to Charles Lovett, a high school quarterback, who then threw a touchdown pass to Gillmore for his second score of the game.

But the final drive that lasted over 10 minutes sealed the win for CU.

Check Monday’s Collegian for more on the Rocky Mountain Showdown.