Game to grill the CU Buffs

Authors: Allison Knaus

It’s hunting season here in Ram Country, and today in the Plaza, CSU students are hungry for buffalo meat.

The Associated Students of CSU, the Marching Band, Poms Team and cheer squad and special alumni guests today will be in the Plaza for the annual Grill the Buffs event as the Rams gear up to face CU this weekend for the 2011 Cinch Jeans Rocky Mountain Showdown.

“This is what college is about, the comadery of all coming together and having the same goal in mind,” said Tim Brogdon, ASCSU director of Student Services.

The Rams are starting the season with a 2-0 record while the Buffaloes are so far winless.

“We’re going into the game with the upper hand and definitely have a chance to win,” Brogdon said.

Volunteers will be serving 2,000 free buffalo burgers to students from 11:00 a.m. until 2:00 p.m., or until they run out, in the annual event that plans to pump up CSU for the weekend events.

“This is going to be one of the biggest Grill the Buffs events we’ve had,” Brogdon said. “It’s one of the biggest spirit events of the year where students have the opportunity to physically get involved and be a part of the tradition that has been going on for so many years.”

Along with the free burgers, students will have the opportunity to win prizes and ASCSU will hand out 500 For-Ever Green t-shirts and sticky note pads.

“Grill the Buffs is a great way for students to feel united right before the game. Even though we may be part of such a large community, this weekend we all have the same goal in mind,” said Chris Thomas, the deputy director of Student Services Tradition council.

The 2011 Cinch Jeans Rocky Mountain Showdown football game takes place on Sept. 17 at Sports Authority Field at Mile High.

The pep rally gives students the opportunity to get excited about the game, ASCSU President Eric Berlinberg said at the ASCSU cabinet meeting on Sept 14.

Students will also have the opportunity to learn the CSU Fight Song in sign language taught by Resources for Disabled Students with help from ASCSU.

ASCSU Beat Reporter Allison Knaus can be reached at news@collegian.com.