No jobs for you

Authors: Bailey Constas

Sophomore dance major Bailey Ostdiek has been looking for a job all semester, but as she searches, she keeps a wary eye out for fishy jobs that could scam her out of money instead of making it.

“I’ve filled out over 50 job applications to find a job this semester, and finally I resorted to Craigslist,” Ostdiek said. “I always get these emails that tell me that I could take surveys and make all of this money just by sitting at my computer, and it’s obviously a scam.”

The Better Business Bureau recently has called attention to phony job listings that have begun to increase in the past few years in Northern Colorado, targeting desperate job seekers looking to make cash fast.

Most of these dead-end employments are found on Craigslist.com, Monster.com and Careerbuilder.com.

Luanne Kadlub from the BBB said these scamming jobs know no boundaries.

“They really run the gambit,” Kadllub said. “There’s a lot of complaints nationwide … they are often posted by scam artists from overseas.”

However, these jobs are not restricted to online scammers.

“Phony jobs are in print media, in classifieds,” Kadlub said. “Or they may not be phony but [they’re] not a good prospect.”

Some of these scams might even be found on your neighborhood telephone pole.
“If it’s too good to be true, trust your gut,” she said.

She said to be aware of misspellings and grammatical errors. Most of these scammers will be coming from overseas from people without a clear understanding of the English language. And most professionals spell check their job listings before posting them.

Walk away when an employer asks for personal information, Kadlub said. Listen to your mother’s voice in your head when it comes to strangers; don’t give your social security number, account number, or any other personal information.

Don’t trust a company that requires money up front, offers an extravagant amount of money or wiring money. Work is work for a reason; a company claiming thousands for stuffing envelopes is simply not reasonable. Be weary of demands to wire money because you might get yourself involved in money laundering.

Bottom line: be smart about job hunting. There are multiple ways to check out companies to determine if you are about to lose your identity or gain that slightly above minimum wage job you’ve been searching for.

Also, check out the Career Center for job opportunities.

According to Robert Huerta from the Career Center, all jobs listed online are created by the employers specifically geared toward students and finding them an opportunity to gain some income.

If you’re looking to check out a company or you wish to file a complaint towards a company, log on to www.wynco.bbb.org.

Kadlub’s final advice: “When you look for things online whether it be a car, job or puppy, do it with skepticism. Do your research.”

Collegian writer Bailey Constas can be reached at news@collegian.com.

Avoid Scams

• Be aware of misspellings and grammatical errors
  • Don’t hand out personal information

* Don’t provide money up front

• Research companies before committing
  • Watch out for sketchy ads in print, not just online

Information from the Better Business Bureau